My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Thought of the Day 02-Jul-15: Conjuring The Patronus

While talking to a dear friend and colleague yesterday I made an analogy that I thought so fitting that I feel compelled to share the notion in hopes it can empowers others. This friend and I relate on the topic of anxiety and depression and as they'd recently needed to alter their neuropathic pain medication recently, they experienced a bout they described as 'thinking its never going to get better.' That definitely hit home with me.

There were three times in my life when my chronic anxiety led to perpetual panic and, effectively, nervous breakdowns. I wrote about finding ways to deal with these episodes previously, and hilariously I might add. So, as we discussed this bleak sentiment and the sheer horror, terror and hopelessness that it manifests, an image immediately came to mind that was perfectly fitting. I said, 'it must be what it feels like to be around a Dementor,' and she agreed as we giggled about being dorky Harry Potter fans. I sincerely hope that many people who read this article don't understand what I'm attempting to describe, but most Humans feel this way to some extent or another at some point during their life. Those plagued by chronic emotional disorders certainly know it all too well. It's the feeling that the clouds above are so thick that the sun will never shine again, or an endless darkness that will never lift. It's a though happiness has never been felt before, nor will it ever be felt again. Worst of all, there seems to be no way to improve or alter this forlorn state. Unmitigated destitution.

Ooooohhhh, scary!
Naturally the next step, taking the Harry Potter theme a step further, is to ask: What is my Patronus? Who or what can I think of or remember during those times of utter darkness that will begin to gleam some light through? How can I tap into my inner power to blast away that fog and kick that Dementors ass?! I know my answer, but everyone needs to have an answer for themselves. It may take some trial and error to discover the answer, yet evoking ones' Patronus is perhaps the most beneficial practice one can do for emotional fortitude.

Rrrahh, badass!
Happily I could actually feel (my ability as an Empath, a future article I'm currently working on) the positive energy begin to flow back out of my friend as their medication began to work again and the fog began to clear; resetting to their natural optimistic state. And though for some medications are an essential tool that their Patronus wields to defeat the Dementor that's upon them, that foundation of positive energy that one can conjure despite the negative forces surrounding them is crucial to their emotional stability and state of happiness in this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment