My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Thought of the Day 1/1/2013: The Dual-Capacity Proletariats

On this arbitrarily assigned reset day I, like so many others, find myself contemplating goals, ambitions and general projections for the year ahead; and in light of my new location and its ardent inhabitants, I find myself a bit overwhelmed yet prepared for the challenge.  Living here serves as the ultimate motivation to both work and play; practice my scientific mind at Hospira, while also dabbling in my creative interests as a writer and aspiring yogi. 


The first thing I noticed about McPherson, Kansas is that each person maintains dual societal functions.  People do both what brings in revenue to pay bills and also what they enjoy on the side, which typically augments the aforementioned funds.  Here are just a few examples: My Realtor also owns a lawn mower shop with her husband, the man who painted my house also drives truck, the woman who opens the YMCA at 5am is also a county appraiser, the guy who teaches my spin class also sells real estate, one of the comic book store co-owners also own a mattress store with his wife, the owner of the Super Wal-Mart also sits on the Main Street Board dedicated to preserving, and ensuring the success of, local businesses.  Even within Hospira one will find aspiring screen play authors, athletes and experimental chefs, an EH&S expert who co-owns one of the local bars and a validation engineer who DJs in his spare time. [These last two people are instrumental for planning a 'Hospira' night at said bar.]  Furthermore, I became better acquainted with most of these people, even the Hospira employees, while exercising and enjoying my time at the local YMCA; one of the staples of McPherson society, community, and undoubtedly another reason for the general vivacity within the population.  [I trust I've already beaten 'The Exercise is Good for You' horse to death.]

I must admit my bias here as I was eager for change, a new location and community with which to connect.  In many ways I see what I want to see, only the positive, turning a blind-eye to more adverse aspects of small town living; but this is a personal choice made by all individuals.  Also, I am naturally extroverted, which makes it easy for me to converse and connect with new people.  There are undoubtedly many people who would express copious amounts of pessimism with regards to McPherson, for various reasons.  My steadfast belief remains, however, that the natural zeal for expressing professionalism on a bi-directional plane, the 'Work hard, Play Hard' demeanor, has established and maintained the affable community in which I deem myself a fully integrated resident.  Subconsciously, it drew me here from afar to live out my own multidisciplinary initiatives.

Our Bustling Little Metropolis [Link to Actual Size]

I desire to be both a successful pharmaceutical industry professional and experiential writer, while perhaps also teaching Yoga and Pilates classes from my home.  These profoundly diverse elements, though serving Body, Mind and Soul, can often create friction in my being rather than harmony.  When I over-indulge one and leave the others lacking, my stress levels rise.  I become unhappy and experience overarching anxiety; the next thing I know I'm kicking my dog or yelling at children, none of which are acceptable in the background of this congenial environment.  This is a universal phenomena whether people realize it or not, and no matter how the depression and/or anxiety presents itself.  The Vocation vs The Hobby, balancing one's wants and needs are critical to ensure one's happiness, and more importantly, optimism.  McPherson is teeming with hard-working, generous, artisans who have come as close to perfecting this balance as I've ever observed, and it's truly inspiring.  They have prospered from this success, to the benefit of the town's atmosphere and population.  I am honored to call this place my home and these assiduous people my friends and neighbors.  Most importantly, I look forward to awakening my inner potential and resulting opulence by cultivating a well-rounded, successful and fulfilled Spirit; fueled by the actuating winds of my new habitat.


No comments:

Post a Comment