My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Thought of the Day 1/21/2013: The Significance of Silence

Though not a novel concept, the significance of silence has unique meaning to everybody, and today I had a surprising epiphany regarding my own feelings on this concept.  Anyone who has been in a room with me for over two minutes knows that I'm a talker; I can find something to say about any subject.  I have been both blessed and burdened with a profoundly sociable and extroverted personality.  The extent to which this very attribute currently weighs on my mind is forthcoming in a resolution article entitled "The Year of the Filter."

Yet this precisely explains my surprise because, to me, the things in this life that have silenced me are without a doubt the most fundamental lessons I have learned, despite their true meanings eluding me 99% of the time.  I know now that when I have nothing to say about a subject, and cannot otherwise articulate my feelings and/or memories, I'm facing something that will, or has, impact(ed) my Soul.  No human words can describe what I suspect to be miracles in everyday life, but since many of these miracles take the form of fear and pain as well as wonder and joy, many people simply write them off as bad and good luck, respectively.

Here are just a few examples in my life; thoughts, feelings and memories that, when addressed, I simply have no way to describe what my Mind and Body experience.

-  The way I feel about my nephew Quinton; there is something fundamentally awe-inspiring about his personality.
Quinton with the Aristocats I got him for Christmas

-  Memories of my Germany/Denmark/Sweden trip; the true meaning of my experiences during those 3 weeks can never be explained.
Berlin Cathedral
Lake Alpsee, Fussen Germany
-  The emotional pain of breaking up with my first, and only, boyfriend/fiancĂ©. [Sorry, I'm not up for posting a picture, just take my word for it.]

-  The euphoria of running.
1/2 Marathon!
-  Gratitude towards my true friends. [Sorry, can't post pictures of them all!]
Me and Fancy Nancy
Hiking Mt Democrat with my Boulder Boys

-  The fear that grips me when I think of beginning another romantic relationship, or of eating a piece of cake.
Yummmm, but No!

-  The humbling insignificance provoked by looking out over the Continental Divide atop a 14,000 foot peak in the Rockies.
Pike's Peak

-  The tears that non-emotionally flowed over my cheeks while listening to my favorite Cure song live at Red Rocks.


-  Last but not least, the initial thought that spawned this entire article: How I feel about the house in which I live; its location, the way the sun heats the porch no matter the time of day, its proximity to the social epicenter of McPherson and its porch-view, the way the floor creaks when I get up to piss 4 times a night, sitting in the breakfast nook and writing on my blog.  I love this house and I'm not ready to give up on owning it.
Home

No comments:

Post a Comment