My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Thought of the Day 4/21/2013: Spring Cleaning; Lessons Learned

It's sad that this is true of every year; but this year I bought a house to distract myself from emotions!
I recently took a 'Project Management Essentials' course through the Center for Management Development at Wichita State University, and wishing to hone my Project Manager skills, I will now summarize the lessons learned from my first annual Spring Cleaning Project.

  1. Old House + Dusting = Head Cold: It seems that Eden came fully equipped with a population of microbes which have befuddled my otherwise robust immune system.  When I dusted the door and window casings, and ceiling fans, I promptly inhaled said microbes and am now building defenses against them along with copious amounts of mucous. Thank God for Zinc and Vitamin C!
  2. No Matter What I Clean, or Where it is, Once I Put it Back Charlie Will Cover it With a Fresh Layer of Hair: I honestly think that cleaning all of the hair from my house offends my animals; as soon as I vacuum it up they roll around on on the cleaned item/material to ensure their territory was not compromised.
  3. There is Nothing that Can't be Cleaned with Either Acetic Acid (aka White Vinegar) or Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser: Seriously, hardwood floors, doors, sinks, toaster ovens, bathtubs, trash cans, dogs, etc.  Dilute vinegar in water and get to scrubbin'! If the dirts doesn't yield, hit it with the Magic Eraser. If neither work it's been irreparably damaged, toss it. 
  4. The Crux of Cleaning My Hardwood Floors For the First Time is that Now I Will Notice When They are Dirty, Constantly: Ignorance truly is bliss; I previously thought that was just how the hardwood looked, today I discovered it was dirt that wouldn't vacuum up before.... damn.
  5. Cleaning 1200 Square Feet of Hardwood Sucks: There is no way to mitigate this for next year's project, it's just what I signed-up for when buying my home; they are seriously beautiful floors though.
  6. If My Fingernail is Predisposed to Falling Off, Cleaning the House for 5 Hours Should be Sufficient to Finish the Job: Almost there, and it's blacker than ever; awesome.
  7. Don't Plan to Mow The Lawn The Same Day as Cleaning The Floors: It simply won't get done.
  8. Pancake Energy is the Best Fuel for Spring Cleaning: I started my day with blueberry, banana, lemon-zest protein pancakes and it powered be through relocation of everything to the spare room and half of the floor-cleaning venture. Win-Win!
  9. There is NO BETTER Feeling Than Relaxing in a Clean Home: Congratulating myself on a job well done by vegging-out with some 'BBC Presents Jane Austin's Emma' and Popcorn is my definition of livin' the dream.  Yes, I know how strange I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment