My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Thought of the Day 09/08/2013: Things That Make You Say "Huh"

Three separate occurrences today made me stop and say "Huh;" first in a quizzical sense, the next in a 'that's interesting' sense and the last in a flat out 'WTF' sense.  Granted, my shifts at McDonald's are always fun in some way or another, or I wouldn't keep the job (I certainly don't work there for the money), but today was just kind of strange.

  1. A production worker from Hospira came through early in the morning, as she always does when the B1 shift works weekends.  Though I can't say I've ever seen her at Hospira since we have over 1,000 production personnel, we've built quite the rapport during our run-ins at McDonald's when I'm cashiering for the drive-thru.  She'd seen me yesterday around the same time, but today when she saw me she exclaimed, "Do you ever take a day off?!"  I explained that I typically take one day off ever two weeks, but due to a plethora of circumstances I hadn't taken my day off for the past four weeks, and I have two more to go until the next.  I said this in the tone I truly felt, the 'It's no biggie' tone.  She warned me against working myself to the bone, and as she drove up to collect her food from the second window I thought "Huh."  Here's a woman that works 12 hour shifts in  production, something I could never do for multiple reasons and which subsequently leads me to believe that she is one of the hardest workers I know, yet she is telling ME that I work too hard.  Huh, indeed.
  2. The next two 'Huhs' require me to provide some background on the inner workings of the McDonald's Drive-Thru; not a terribly titillating topic I admit, but necessary nonetheless.  Our store has two lanes.  The primary order taker, on the busiest lane since it's the closest to the building (I thought this was BS when I first heard it, but it's proven to me everyday I work there), is stationed at the back with the cashier.  The secondary order taker works upfront and helps make drinks and collect the food.  The cashier takes the money for both lanes via a computer that shows a picture of the car and their order; you tap the picture to cash out the car.  Sometimes when we're understaffed, or is not a busy time of day, the cashier also functions as the primary order taker.  It's manageable but can be quite confusing when you're getting change for someone while someone else is simultaneously giving you an order that has to be tapped into a separate computer.  When I do it this, I feel like a mentally impaired SuperWoman.  Both hands tapping both computers and making sure my mic out to the lane isn't on as I curse because I mis-counted someone else's change.  Anyway, when I returned from break the primary order taker went on hers and handed me the headset.  After a bit I took an order from a funny guy who asked me if I took 'Fours', as in a $4 bill since his order came to $3.something.  When he pulled up to the window he was still giggling.  Now, I love cashiering because it allows me to converse with everyone and I delight in talking to people and seeing their dogs, etc.  I greeted him jovially in return, and after I took his cash he said "You have a great smile," to which I beamed.  Who doesn't love a compliment like that?!  I empathically thanked him for the ego boost and he responded "Don't thank me, thank your Mother" as he drove off.  This made me stop and think, "Huh."  He's absolutely right, so, thanks Mom (and Dad)!
  3. This one is kinda creepy.  I'm still not quite sure what to think of it.  It sometimes happens that a customer will order and then, for whatever reason, drive off.  When this happens I have to get a manager to take the car/order off my screen.  I was again flying solo and I noticed a nice looking silver mustang with a nominal order, a McDouble with some kind of special order (No Ketchup or whatever) and a small fry, but there were no cars in either lane and no one at my window, so I deduced that it was a drive-off.  I notified a manager, she removed it, all was well.  A short time later, however, a car came to my lane and ordered a McDouble without Ketchup and a small fry; which I thought nothing of at first, but when I confirmed the order a hit the 'Store' button that sends the order to the cashier computer, I saw the same mustang pop up and immediately thought 'Deja vu.'  It was the same order I had just had removed!  I naturally assumed the girl had forgotten her money or something like that, but thought it odd nonetheless.  Usually cars drove off because they're pissed at waiting, or at the incompetence of their order taker, haha; but random drive-offs during slow periods are not common.  When I took her credit card for payment I happened to look at her name.  I shit you not, this chick's name was Deja!  Deja, en Francois, literally means 'again'.  I damn near hit the floor.  I became convinced this chick was some kind of Voodoo queen, and hurriedly got her on her way.  I'm not sure why this spooks me so much, rationally it had to just be a crazy coincidence.  Still, WTF?!
Pumpkin Pie.....Mmmmm!
On a random note, though I don't typically condone eating the processed, chemical-ridden, sludge that is McDonald's food, try the new pumpkin pie; it's friggin' delicious! [Note: Please don't hold me responsible if you try it and don't like it, try it and burn your mouth because it was really hot, or try it and proceed to eat 100 more over the course of a week and consequently gain 10 pounds; none of these things are my responsibility.]



1 comment: