My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thought of the Day 2/21/2013: Snow Beasts and Big Feet

After experiencing my first significant Kansas blizzard, I have one question and two things of which I am exceedingly proud:

Question - Under what mindset is it logical to plow snow to the middle of the street?  
This isn't theoretical.  In McPherson it seems the norm to plow the snow such that it builds-up in the middle of the street, making left-hand turns impossible until you get to a major intersection.  I feel like I'm driving along a secluded snow mountain and Bumbles might jump from behind one any moment to smash my car!

Everybody's favorite snow beast, Bumbles!
Prideful Point #1 - My Tiny, Kick-Ass, Snow Beast of a Chevy Aveo
I bought my Chevy Aveo brand new with only 9 miles on it in January 2006, we've shared every mile since at an astounding average of 42 miles/gallon.  Now I think the best part is that my car continues to surprise me by proving itself a bona-fide snow beast.  It's survived Rochester, NY lake effect snow, Denver, CO '6-inches-at-a-time' snowfall, and now McPherson, KS wind-whipping blizzard; handling each like a rockstar, it's never left me hopelessly stuck or stranded, though I see 'better' cars stuck all the time.  I attribute 70% of it's abilities to it having a standard transmission, effectively giving myself credit by knowing when to administer more power.  Anyway, thank you little car.

Prideful Point #2 - My Abnormally Large Feet
Instead of spending $30 at Wal-Mart for their last shovel, I decided to figure something else out.  I came home and being pissed about having to shovel my walk without a shovel, I began to kick the snow.  Charlie thought I was playing with him and started running laps back and forth from the neighbors house to me along the walk.  After 5 minutes of 'playing' I glanced behind me and marveled at the clear path we had made.  I then realized that because my feet were the same size as Shaquille O'Neal's, if I alternately swept each side-to-side I created a wider path than an actual shovel.  Charlie and I continued our work and were done in 20 minutes flat; take that snow shovel gougers! 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/24/2013

    Thanks for the mirthful posting. I, being much much older than you, no longer leap out of bed at 0400 in order to shovel snow out of the driveway so that Hunky Husband can drive into the garage when he returns from work. Now, if I shovel at all, I do it at liesure and use a small scoop shovel. Actually, I started using a scoop shovel in 1977, when I found it to be the only snow weapon in my arsenal. It wasn't an over-sized one, but just a right-sized one for snow scooping. Now, I have three scoop shovels of various sizes and materials (one folds, to fit in the trunk); although, HH is as apt to be using one of them as I am.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete