My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Thought of the Day 3/24/2013: Prioritorial Maturation

[Note: I made up the word prioritorial because I couldn't find a real word as aesthetically pleasing for titling this article.  Yes, I can do that.]
Eden, viewed from front.
As of next Friday, March 29th, I will finally own my first home, Eden, whom I've fought hard for as my first attempt to buy it fell through.  Now, as I dream of vinyl siding, new windows, a replacement back door, poured concrete, insulation for the unfinished upper level and lion sentinels for the porch, I find myself marveling at the shift in my financial priorities.  
View of the Park from my Porch.
Just four short years ago I was obsessed with saving for a tummy tuck and boob lift to rid my new body of the 5-7 pounds of scarred skin that will never heal or completely recede.  Plus, if I did the tummy tuck the boob lift would be 20% off; what a deal!  Though historically I've judged plastic surgery as a vain frivolity for rich people, I felt this surgery was necessary to complete my own physical transformation and the want of it drove me to near insanity.  I tried three separate times to collect the funds and schedule the surgery, including maxing out every credit card I had.  The surgery would total about 15K, more than my car cost brand new.  With tear filled eyes, I finally had to admit that it couldn't be done without selling myself to the Russian Mafia.  My marred skin would have stay with me a bit longer.  After this realization I justified moderate to severe amounts of self-inflicted abuse in the form of starvation and overexertion that I blamed on the mental strife inflicted by this skin's presence; a constant reminder of the work left unfinished.
Living Room with French Doors into my Bedroom.
My next big venture, however, slowly drove these thoughts from my mind.  I had met Chris and my focus now shifted to saving for vacations, his Lasik surgery and our eventual wedding.  For the next two and a half years I was too busy financially supporting two people, under the guise of love, to think of how else the money could be spent.  Then the shit hit then fan and instead of a wedding bill I was left with 7K worth of debt that I was dumb enough to put in my name, and that he couldn't pay.  I'm not complaining (though I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm a bit jaded), I am paying and will continue to pay for this first lesson of adult life.  Love makes fools and paupers of us all, and now I'm a proud member of that club.
Kitchen
Breakfast Nook
Actually, now that I reflect on my past priorities, spending money on Eden is my first truly mature and forward-thinking financial venture; especially considering that the expenses focus on energy efficiency improvements.  I have no idea how, because I'm cash poor from credit card and student loan bills, but I will have vinyl siding on this house by next winter.  Does anyone know a Russian Mobster?
Dining/Living Area into Main Living Room
Furthermore, Eden is the first deserving financial burden in my life; and in contemplating how, I drew astounding parallels between my own disposition and the characteristics of my new home which I relate now with humility:

  • Built on a strong foundation, yet needing extraordinary attention in specific places
  • Includes unfinished and/or empty spaces with untapped potential
  • Every now and then the trash needs to be hauled out and forgotten 
  • Focus on continual improvements; Progress not perfection

2 comments:

  1. Drew G4/03/2013

    Nice pics of the house! I need to come and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/01/2019

    Google searched 'prioritorial' for a paper, and came across you site. I'm still befuddled that it is not a real word... but your home looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete