My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Shopping Day!


Today we finally left the hotel to venture into Vizag to do some shopping.  I hadn't really intended to buy anything other than the items my co-worker from Kansas wanted as well as a deity for my house, but with the prices and quality of merchandise I just couldn't help myself!  We first went to the mall where I purchased my friend's items and some really cool earrings for myself. [Link to Pictures]
Durga, the Invincible!
Next, because a colleague and I both wanted quality deity statues, we went to a place we had seen on our daily commutes called the Eastern Art Museum.  Getting there turned out to be a real adventure since we weren't sure where to go and the Tuk-Tuk driver didn't speak English very well.  He took us to where we thought the place was located, but it wasn't quite right; in trying to find it my crazy sense of direction kicked in and told me that we were headed North toward the airport and not into downtown Vizag where I knew the shop was located.  Well, we were on a four lane highway and there was no place to U-turn, so he turned around right there in the middle of it and we went the wrong way down the highway for about half a kilometer.  It was a good thing I had went to the bathroom at the mall, otherwise I may have pissed my pants!

Anyway, here's my Vizag shopping experience inventory:
  • Brass statue of Durga ridding a Lion
  • Framed Lakshmi portrait
  • Smaller framed Ganesh portrait
  • A collection of 6 Ganesh statues
  • Two India keychains
  • Silk scarf 
  • India doll 
  • Mini bound version of the Bhagavad Gita
  • Handmade clutch purse
  • Cool Indian dangly earrings
  • Peacock statue
  • Small marble tower with a clock and adorned with small gems
  • Two Indian yoga magnets
Grand Total: 4473 rupees ($71.93)

I think I did pretty damned well! According to my Bob Barker taught consumer knowledge, the brass statue alone in the states would have been priced at $100, and the marble clock would have fetched at least $80. The best part, something completely priceless, occurred while I was paying for the Lakshmi and Ganesh portraits; they took the time to bless these items using their three main deities (mentioned above); I'm not too proud to admit it brought tears to my eyes.  

1 comment:

  1. All that for $72? I would have way overbid on that showcase showdown.

    ReplyDelete