My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Travel Day 10: Sunday, 6/24/2012

08:15 Train to Kobenhavn/Odense
On the train to Kobenhavn and feeling a bit pissy.  Upon reflection I believe some points of origin are:

  1. Leaving the comfort of my friends and striking out on my own
  2. Knowing I have to carry my pack everywhere now
  3. Fear of not having enough money
  4. There's too many Americans around
Funny but true, there's a quintessential family of Jews right next to me and it makes me remember why I need to stay here, I just can't deal with constantly dissatisfied people.  I've found my way out of that trap and so can they! That family also reminds me what a fucking nightmare it would be to vacation with family. I'm definitely doing it the right way. The boy/girl kids seriously look 30ish/late 20ish, what would possess them to do that?!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I luckily found I can use my card! By lucky happenstance I activated a PIN for it [years ago], which enables me to use it here.  I discovered this when I bought my tunelbana pass. I slide the card and it asked for a PIN.  At first I panicked and stupidly put in my debit card PIN, then when it inevitably told me it was wrong I just used my go-to 4 digit code and closed my eyes and prayed as I pressed enter... SUCCESS! I was so relieved that I went a bit overboard on my spending that day, buying a cute top and sunglasses for about $50/400 crown.  It's versatile and really cute though.  I'm going to try not to spend any [of my] American money so I can put it back in my account.

Dinner last night definitely did not disappoint. It was an adorable warm and cozy Eritrean (like Ethiopian) restaurant located in a tunelbana station. I had a combo platter and every single component was phenomenal.  It was all situated in little clumps atop a sourdough pancake thing. Everyone filled up on the bread, and while it went well with the spicy dishes I preferred just to eat the main components without a lot of extra bread.  I polished off everything no problem! Here's a run down:
  • Dark chicken dish with sweet and spicy combo [favorite meat]
  • Cubed beef with spicy combo and some peppers, onions and jalapeños
  • Mashed turnips [I think]
  • Potatoes, kind of Indian-style with other veggies [favorite veggie]
  • Spinach that reminded me of saag but much less creamy [almost my favorite]
  • Something massed and orange-ish in color but not flavor, topped with jalapeño
  • A boiled egg that had soaked up the flavor of the chicken in the middle
The dinner party consisted of all the people from the BBQ the night before plus MB's husband and a good time was had by all.  The food was only 139 Crown (~$14)!

Afterwards we went to the 'Loch and Quay' [phonetically 'Lock and Key'] and I had their version of an Irish Coffee with an orange-ish, sweet and very strong liquor, delicious, then a glass of their house red.  A bit sweet for my taste, but still pleasant.  At first when I approached JS about a job he seemed not to respond, saying he had some ideas for me but not actually telling me what they were.  I left him my info and he gave me a guide with all their restaurants on them and before I left he promised to keep me in mind and email me.  All I can do is wait, I did what I could.  This is just one pilot light I will start in my new 'pursuit of happiness'. 

MB and her husband got up to see me off this morning and I'm really going to miss them.  With my transformation I find MB as endearing as ever without getting annoyed with her because of my jealously of her ability to feel and express emotions.  Though I'll never be like her, I can be compassionate and nonjudgmental, therefore there is no longer a need for me to resent her because she can.

True to the 'Dragon Tattoo' series, they really do eat sandwiches for breakfast! We were just served with a nice and seedy/nutty roll, ham, swiss, lettuce, cucumber, red pepper and some kind of strawberry lime breakfast yogurt/juice.  It was good! I also snagged some extra fruit for my travels. Ok! I should be caught up for a bit. Time for reading or or listening to The Hunger Games.

10:00 On Some Train, Somewhere Between Stockholm and Kobenhavn
Some Danish Phrases: *The result of Wi-Fi in 1st class*
Thank You - Tak
Please - Vaer Sa Venlig
Hello - Hej
Excuse Me - Undskyld Mig
[NOTE: A lot of the words have letters/accents that I can't display in html, haha]
Traditional Danish Food:
Meatballs - Frikaldeller
Rye Bread - Rugbrod
Open Sandwich [Lunch] - Smorrebrod
Roast Pork - Flaeskesteg/Ribbenstag
Poached Cod - Kogt torsk [w/ mustard sauce]
Soured Milk, Grated Rye Bread and Brown Sugar [typical local Breakfast] - Ymerdrys
Split Pea Soup w/ Pork and Veggies - Gule aerter
Shrimp - Rejer = Death [I'm allergic]
Meatballs in Curry w/ Rice and Cucumber - Boller Karry
Chicken - Kylling
Pork, Bacon, Apple and Onion [aka Apple Pork] - Acbleflaesk
Sausage Wagon [Traditional Fast Food] - Polsevogen
Red Sausage - Rode Poleser
Inn - Kro

Pork is the most common meat and, as in Germany, Turkish/Middle Eastern fast food is common.

16:00 Train to Odense 
NOTE: I had a 2-3 hour layover in Kobenhavn before taking a Train to my Denmark destination of Odense; I went out mostly to see a Castle and Cemetery I saw on a map on my way to Stockholm a fews days prior. [Link to Kobenhavn Pics]

Caught the 15:50 train to Odense with literally seconds to spare and I booked it back from the castle in Kobenhavn.  I now feel thoroughly disgusting and dirty. I really must be honest, Kobenhavn is a positively disgusting city. I'm so glad (I hope!) that I'm staying in Odense. It was just so dirty. The park was nice, but still dirtier than Germany or Sweden. The area around the train station feels downright unsafe. The cemetery would've been nice, but I was a feeling anxious and hungry and didn't walk around. I felt I needed food, but likely just seeking comfort because I felt so disgusted with the city, so I went to a sandwich/pizza place.  The bread was amazing and they toasted it/melted the cheese and it was only 39 Krona! Checking my bag [at the train station] cost 55! The guy was really nice too and talked to me [or at least tried]. I obviously couldn't read the menu so we worked together, haha. I was extremely satisfied for the price and quality of the food. Plus, I really just needed to refuel. Even though I spent all morning sitting, my anxiety is keeping my appetite high.  Now I need to decide if I want to try a traditional danish place for dinner or just go to a grocery store. This will be a common topic of decision for me.

I really can't wait to take a shower. The castle was cool looking but I didn't get a ticket to look inside because I just wasn't interested in spending anymore time in Kobenhavn then I had to. Even if it wasn't cold, windy and rainy, I'm still not sure it would be a pretty place; I found it quite literally gross. I hope that I'm not, but suspect that I am, warping my perception to make it seem worse than it is, but our energies were clashing big time and I look forward to the more intimate setting of Odense.

I also can't expect much from the hostel, as I remember the hostel in Uppsala being in a bad/ugly part of town.  I'll have to wait to thoroughly explore tomorrow. 

19:40 Oriental BBQ Restaurant; Odense, Denmark [Link to Pics]
At an Oriental BBQ buffet and I thought I'd journal after salad and my first plate of meat so I can build up momentum for round #2, haha. I'm so ML's daughter.

Well, I can honestly say I've never been so happy to be right in all my fucking life. Odense is positively chambering and beautiful; I can't wait to go exploring all day tomorrow! I plan to walk all day and see as much as possible, then have a nice traditional meal at that one restaurant down near the zoo and maybe bar hop a bit tomorrow evening. 

The hostel is fantastic, better than some hotels I've been in and I can do laundry before I go. (Shit, I think I'm having a slight allergic reaction-H2O time! Good thing I brought Benadryl.) Anyway, I feel perfectly safe leaving my stuff there, all the doors lock via key cards. The city itself is gorgeous and reminds me a lot of Esslinger and Uppsala. The streets are wider than Esslinger, and there's more parks like Uppsala. The train station and hostel are virtually connected, making it really easy to find my way. Basically I'm at the far North and everything lies South; very easy to find my way. I'm so so very relieved. Kobenhavn had me pretty concerned. Ok, I think it's time for 1 more plate and some ice cream :)

22:01 Odense Hostel
Holy friggin' full. I intentionally overate to fuel through for tomorrow. After reading some brochures I think I'll just slowly walk to the traditional Danish restaurant, Restaurant Carlslund, about 50 minutes South. I'll walk through Munke Mose, near the zoo, and through another part [of town]; all of it along the Odense River. Should be an incredible walk! After re-fueling I'll come back to Odense, maybe nap and then go out on the town. Apparently a trendy cafe, Franck A off of Junbanegade, just North of Vestergade, turns into a club at night. Might be worth checking out, it's really close after all.

I'd also like to stop at a big store I saw at Vindegade and Vesterbro, mail post cards and do laundry. I may save those items for Tuesday morning, we'll see. There's supposed to be a post office  around Vestergade and Brandt passage, I was near there today and its near that store too, so I'll definitely do that at the same time, Tuesday morning. The laundry I'll have to do tomorrow though... I really don't want to, haha.

Can I just mention again how much I'm enjoying Odense? I had a great post-dinner walk and now I'm lounging. I should sleep well tonight, but am really gonna take it easy food-wise tomorrow. I seriously indulged today, admittedly cuz I felt sick and shaky in Kobenhavn, so I over did-it, but it's ok. Everything will balance and at least my bowels are working! Woot. Gonna write my post cards then call it a night!

Oh, and it turns out there's a sheet, blanket and pillows, but actually white sheets and a towel are extra. Luckily, I don't need such things. Thank goodness I took that goofy small towel from MB's! I hope she doesn't miss it.. I didn't tell her I was 'borrowing' it... To Bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment