My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Travel Day 12: Tuesday, 6/26/2012

07:50 Somewhere Between Odense and Berlin
I'm officially glad I had to get a first class ticket. The cars/toilets are nicer, there's always snacks (which I pack for later), coffee, tea and water, and now I'm in the lounge waiting for the Flensburg train and just snagged 2 pieces of Valrhona! Woot.

Actually, just last night I had a brownie I snagged from DB first class, they're pretty good. I felt hungry despite my apple/carrots and this trip is about doing what I want and I wanted a brownie bite. As I slid back into bed with my treat I thought 'victory', haha, and I'm still not entirely sure why.

I emailed SR before leaving to see if he can meet up next Saturday; I hope he can! He's so gorgeous... oh, and just to indicate what I dream about, it occurred to me that there's something else I must try in Berlin.... GERMAN Chocolate Cake. The one place I saved on my iPod is a bakery. I think I'm going to try cake for breakfast one day, haha. [Aside: It's funny because it seems like I'm saying I dream about hot guys, but I switch to the topic of food.]

So, I just got on the train and I'm very grateful for my 'attention to detail' skills or I may not have noticed that the monitor I was standing under had a different destination than 'Flensburg' so I walked down to a different monitor which said 'IC Flensburg Vohn 11-12', meaning only cars 11 and 12 go to Flensburg, my first run-in with a splitting train! It's a good thing I was warned of this.... I have a feeling some tourists aren't making it to Flensburg, haha. I'll be interested to see if these 2 cars connect to the train going to Hamburg; either way I'm getting off to be sure.

Sweet! More first class awesome-ness; an awesome breakfast roll, jam and swiss cheese. I'm going to save the cheese for lunch and have the roll with my yogurt. Woot!

14:05 
Almost to Berlin! For some reason I'm just insatiably hungry, so for my first stop I'm going to the cafe with the Chocolate! Then I'll figure out the rest; it will likely depend on how long it takes to walk from the S-Bahn on Potsdamer Platz to the hostel.

20:30 Berlin [Link to Pics]
Holy shit my feet need a break! I've been going non-stop since getting to Berlin. I took the S-Bahn to Potsdamer Platz, it was a bit confusing cuz I had to take 2 trains, but I asked people and they helped. When I got here I went to the chocolate place and had an amazing little chocolate cake and cold chocolate drink with grand mariner. I went to check into the hostel after that and it's more like an actual hostel, so I don't really want to be there.

I took off to see some stuff and covered a lot of ground. At Markgrafen platz I got a currywurst and it was spicy and delicious! I admit, I'm seriously indulging today as I'm at the traditional place getting a beer and schnitzel now, but whatever, you only live once! (that you remember) Plus, food in Berlin is really cheap once you're off the beaten track, like this place. It's small and cozy and hot as hell at the moment. I ordered a nice dark beer for only 3.50Euro, everywhere else was like 10Euro!

Tomorrow I'll pack a lunch and go to one of the parks.  Maybe I'll finally go for a jog, haha.

21:45
Ok, I just had a fucking break down. The meal was good, but I was rushed cuz there was a table coming at 21:00 for that spot. Around 20:45 the chick rudely asked me if I read the signs and I told her someone had sat me. Though I certainly didn't need it, I got no 'brot' as I was supposed to, but the schnitzel and salad were truly delicious and the beer was also good. I had to stand at the bar and seriously thought of pulling a dine and ditch. I just felt so put-out and lonely in general. Now I feel tired, but I really want to experience Berlin so I asked about bars at the bar downstairs [in the hostel]. The chick showed me where the clubs are on the map, then I saw a card for Tuesday's 80's night with free entry until midnight! I'm going and taking my sad-pitiful mood with me dammit. I'm in fucking Berlin!

Sorry, I glossed over the good today, Admittedly I'm feeling very guilty, but I do want to immortalize it:
  1. The tiny chocolate-sex cake: Crunchy bottom with subtle orange flavor, spongy cake layers with more chocolate and a thick layer of dark chocolate ganache on top. Fucking amazing.
  2. The awesome cold 'hot chocolate': Topped with whipped cream and chocolate dust and had Grand Marnier and cherry liquor in it; equally incredible and I also caught a nice buzz. Every sip was divine.
  3. Currywurst: Only 3.50Euro! Nice subtle, not over-powering, sausage covered in a thick spicy curry-ketchup BBQ sauce with a nice brown bread and covered in curry powder. Magnificent.
  4. Like I said, the schnitzel was great and not too salty; good quality pork and nicely fried. The salad was great and the dressing was amazing!
[Aside: I feel immense food guilt now just reading that.... Jesus, it's no wonder what's about to happen happened (foreshadowing).]

There's an old lady who speaks very poor English in the room with me and it seems everyone else is fucking 12, haha. Ok, i'm going to revive with a shower, some booze and get my dance on!



No comments:

Post a Comment