My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Travel Day 9: Saturday, 6/23/2012

11:05 Train to Uppsala [Link to Pics]
So much to write! I'm actually thankful that I'm taking the day trip to Uppsala today alone, as it gives me time to journal and a 40 minute ride to reflect on my experiences thus far.

I arrived at night and MB and I went to her apartment in Odensplan and talked a bit then went to bed.  I didn't sleep well; likely a combo of having not slept well the night before, 16+ hours on trains and the fact that it doesn't get dark here, seriously, it's always at least dusky, never dark.  The counterpart to that is that it is pitch black outside of 8:30 to 15:30 in the winter.  People feel depressed and almost always sleep.  From week to week the time for rise/set is 40 minutes/week variation!  Compared to 1-2 minutes/day (about 10 minutes/week I'd say) variation in the States.

Anyway, it's crazy beautiful here, Stockholm is actually a series of islands that are so close you don't really notice at ground level.  Here's a run down of the wonderful people/places and, of course, food!

  1. Thursday (6/21/2012) [Link to Pics] - Walked all over Stockholm with MB and we took a boat to the island with the amusement park on it and an animal place (Swenson?).  We had an amazing lunch at a cafe with a beautiful garden.  I had a salad with really good chicken and 2 desserts; a lemon cheesecake, which was light and fluffy instead of our dense version, and a mound of baked coconut, basically a macaroon on steroids.  We walked/talked some more, hung out by the water for a bit; I cried while telling MB about CW, but then I've always let my emotional guard down around MB and told her as much.  That night we went to a traditional Swedish restaurant and I had reindeer stew and a great glass of Organic Rioja.  We were immediately served a huge basket of 4 types of bread, 3 crispy, 1 rustic; all delicious and wheaty.  The stew knocked me off my feet; the meat's flavor is so distinct, comparable only to venison, only better! They serve it in a creamy sauce of mushroom, onion and pepper; it was slightly spicy-hot from the pepper and positively perfect.  There was also 'Potatoes Diane' which seemed like twice baked and crunchy-topped mounds of simple potato deliciousness.  It obviously wasn't tainted with massive amounts of salt, butter or cream.  Lastly, there was a small dish of lingonberries which tasted like homemade cranberry sauce, only better.  I also tried half of one of MB's husband's swedish meatballs, which was indescribably the best meatball I'd ever had.  We also got dessert, 3 small portions of Cappuccino Panna Cotta, Rhubarb Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream and a Rock Road Brownie - all perfect.  The meal was their treat and the kindest gesture for a traveling Summer.  The meal was spot-on perfect, as was the conversation, and I got a solid's night sleep.  On the way to the restaurant (we walked there, quite a haul, it's in Slussen) we passed a bar and I suddenly recognized a familiar symbol - THE LEFT HAND! Not 10 minutes down the road at home and here it is in Slussen, Stockholm! I took a picture the next day while we were in the area again, I want to for the guys back home.  Apparently, this bar is famous for their diverse beers.  Oh, also during dinner, I told MB's husband that I'd love to take his friend and him out while they're in CO next month.  It'll be great to see him again so soon in my neck of the woods! MB will be in St. Louis with her Grandmother. [Fun Fact: I got that very opportunity via a surprise call on my birthday!]
  2. Friday (6/22/2012) - Midsummer Eve! Apparently they celebrate everything here on the eve of the holiday instead of the actual holiday [Today, Saturday, is Midsummer].  MB and I packed a great lunch of salad, smoked salmon, this amazing type of cheese that is like swiss on more flavorful steroids, some of the crispy bread that's popular here/Wasa and hummus that MB made from scratch.  I also packed one of my 7% pear ciders - Swedish made.  [NOTE: You have to buy booze from the government run store.  Only some let you grab what you need and pay, others like the one we went to, have huge displays, you write down the number and quantity, take a number and wait to make a purchase.  In general, booze is super expensive here.]  We met MB's friend JE in Slussen and took a bus, then walked up to a park surrounding a beautiful church.  We watched a traditional rising and dancing around the May Pole ceremony.  I was feeling a bit pissy and didn't like JE much at first.  She has a strong personality and I find it threatening to my ego.  I carefully checked my motives, found them irrational, opened my cider and told myself to get a grip and relax.  And I did.  We spent hours talking, laughing and eating in the sun.  My head got burned, but I tanned everywhere else.  JE's friend JS, a UK ex-pat, came to met us and I liked him very much.  He's the manager of the 'Loch and Quay' on the water front of Stockholm, a  quaint-cool hang out MB had actually pointed out to me the day before.  He's 42 and has been in Stockholm 12 years.  He wanted some beer after about 3 hours so I joined him in a walk cuz I was getting restless and tired of sitting in the sun.  We had a great chat about nothing in particular, just easy friendly conversation.  I told him I felt the same way about the States that he felt about the UK, we'd always felt like foreigners in our own country.  Since JS is working tonight, I suggested we all go to the L and Q for a drink on my last night here and everyone agreed.  We're also going out for Ethiopian food beforehand!  We left the park around 16:30 and went back to MB's to prepare our grilling supplies before heading over to her other friend's, RB, a gay Aussie who'd literally just flown back from a trip to London with his Mom. [Holy crap,  we're in Uppsala already!]  We had a fantastic night of grilling, talking and drinking at RB's.  His Mom and he are also joining us for dinner and drinks tonight [Saturday].  I pounded water before bed around 00:30 and again at 04:00, and surprisingly avoided a hangover despite 2 ciders and a glass of Rose. [Time to explore!]
13:20 Uppsala
After about an hour of walking around the most beautiful cemetery I've ever seen and looking in a cool cathedral with huge graves featuring all types of extravagant decor, I'm taking a break for some coffee and food.  It's really beautiful here, everything is very old.  It's basically Stockholm's Gamla Stan expanded to an entire town.  Also, the entire town seems to be the University because I see signs/buildings everywhere.

After my refreshment I'm headed in the direction of a sign I'm pretty sure had the word 'Garden' in it, haha.  The tourist office is closed for Midsummer. [Side Note: I've noticed that Canadian Tuxedos are extraordinarily popular here, and in Germany too.  I'm sorry, but it's just tacky.]

Getting back to my experiences from yesterday.  It seems incredible to me that I feel so much at home here.  In one day I've already begun making plans with friends, haha.  Tonight I'm seriously going to ask JS if any of his bars/restaurants are hiring.  He is one of a large group that runs several in Stockholm.  I'm familiar with the business and though I may not want to do it forever, I can at least use it as a way to come over here.  This entered my head just as I was falling asleep yesterday.  There's certainly no harm in asking.

One interesting point about yesterday's convos with MB: I learned things about JM (Adopted Asian JM) and other things that I never knew before and it gave me a better and more sincere, compassionate love and understanding for MB.  Also, during dinner last night we were talking about the chef profession as JE's ex-husband was a chef.  I didn't say much, I was slightly uncomfortable.  Then I realized if JE has the strength to speak indifferently about an ex-husband, I should also have strength.  Actually, I just realized that was the 2nd time I chose to keep my trap shut yesterday.  We were in the park and talking about the youngest person we'd had sex with and sex in general.  JE started this by asking JS about his youngest [18 when he was 42 - good job!] and then asked MB if it got better with marriage.  In truth, I think JE brought it up cuz she likes JS and she was doing the girl-baiting thing, likely to her own painful detriment.  Anyway, I said I wasn't weighing in as I'd never really been satisfied with sex.

Wow, I am capable of not offering my opinion, though here are 2 subjects I usually over share on. I consider this growth! I knew, though I'd have plenty to say, none of it was particularly positive so I chose to listen instead; yes, that is definitely growth for me!  I want people to know what I like and what makes me happy, that's what's important to me.  The other stuff comes up, but is more intimate and requires a deeper trust/relationship, so I can be sure I have the proper support in expelling that negative energy.  Honestly, I think this is great and exactly in-line with the principles with which I want to continue my life, but I obviously execute those principles more easily here.  I didn't even realize what I had done until today.  It gives me hope.

So far this has already been such an incredible lesson/test/affirmation I can hardly bare to see what else is next; and I'm still waiting for my 'Surprise.'

I'll definitely be writing about tonight, but likely not until I'm on the train to Kobenhaven tomorrow morning.  Oh, I fell really accomplished because this morning I took the tunelbana to T-Centralen, got reservations for both the train tomorrow and on July 4th and found the train to Uppsala, all without a hitch.  Woot.  *Remember to email everyone before leaving Stockholm/internet*

15:00 Train to Stockholm
On a train that leaves in 10 mins for Stockholm.  My legs/feet are ready for some rest.  In summary, Uppsala is absolutely wonderful.  I appreciate the fact that the symbol for the town is a gold/crowned Lion agains a blue background [same colors as the Swedish flag].  There aren't many main streets but they are busy and packed with shops and such.  Once you get off the main streets however, the entire town is like one big pedestrian park with bike and walking paths.  The cemetery alone was well worth the trip! The air is fragrant with the smell of growth and it's very quiet other than the sounds of the birds or rain drops on trees.  Truly delightful.  The canal was especially pretty to walk along.  I think I missed that one park, but found another small one, plus and area that had to be a co-op harden because there were many different/distinct lots.  I ended up taking a piece of bread when I left that cafe, it was super dense and packed with nuts and grains.  It was great fuel! Very dark, but didn't fast like pumpernickel.

Anyway, Uppsala is obviously a great alternative to Stockholm; quaint and quiet but with lots of stuff and still assimilated and international.  I could easily settle here!  I'll have to mention that to LW when I get back.  I think I may walk around Gamla Stan a bit more when I get back to Stockholm.

I almost forgot to mention my 2 interesting tunelbana occurrences yesterday:

  1. To RB's: A Swedish guy stood stock in from of me, said about one sentence in swedish and walked away.  I asked MB what he said and she didn't know.  I said that he must've been telling me I'm the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen and MB agreed.  Reiterating that it was more likely than not along the lines of what he'd said.  Woot.
  2. On the way home: We'd just gotten off at Odensplan and someone asked me where I was from; I said Denver.  They started wooing and hollering about CO and one short guy [there were 2 guys and 1 girl, all dark/black] said he played for the Nuggets.  I told him he was too short, haha. 
NOTE: In each case the people were very drunk, but it was still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment