My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year's Resolution 2012

Happy New Years Avid Readers!

I had a great time over the holidays at home with family and friends; it was especially wonderful to spend time with my nieces and nephew.  There is nothing better than being around people who require no explanation of why you say or act the way that you do, accepting you as you can't even accept yourself.  Alas, the week flew by entirely too fast!

New Years always brings resolutions, the key is to set resolutions that you are willing to obtain, and therefore must be motivated by a true desire to commit to new habits which will bring them into fruition.  Do you truly loathe the way your ass jiggles when you walk?  Get that ass on a treadmill and stop eating french fries.  Sorry if this seems harsh, but it's the truth.  If your idea of breakfast is a code red and two cigarettes you are basically taking a huge dump on your life.  Additionally, exercise of the type that will eventually lead to runner's high and stimulate relaxation, happiness and inspiration does not come from going through a McDonald's drive-thru or walking to the mailbox.  Commit to 30 minutes of moderate to rigorous exercise 5-6 days a week and consciously think about what you are eating; in two weeks you will hate me, but in 6 weeks you will thank me.  Find yourself losing your temper and kicking your dog or kid too often? Sick of banging your head against a wall attempting to mute the stream of compulsive thoughts?  Read a self help book.  Believe me, the more humiliating that concept seems, the more you need it as a resource for implementing change in your life.  

I don't typically have a resolution since I don't like setting myself up to fail, but this year I decided to focus and commit myself to one resolution: I will do whatever the hell I want to do; with an open mind and detachment from material crap and judgement, damning past experiences and old habits in thinking and actions, at my own pace and as best I can, expecting nothing of myself or others.

How can I possibly fail? The beauty of this resolution is that there is no possibility of failure. No matter what I do I will produce results.  In true "Analytical Ramblings of a Scientific Mind" fashion, I can then thoroughly analyze and interpret my results.  The first humbling lesson of becoming a scientist is that even negative results are still results that yield valuable information.  Indeed, complete dissertations, including my own, are based solely on negative results!  Luckily for my readers, this resolution also includes writing the many articles that I have in mind for this blog.  Writing is my creative outlet and it is my deepest desire to explore my creative inclinations; scary but true.  Is anyone else getting an image of that nature-painting dude with the white guy Afro from PBS?

So, this year I will commit to producing the results of a life led entirely by free-will; giving up my job, home, material possessions, and most importantly my obsession with control.  Sit back and read the magic happen as I convey my interpretations through writing in hopes that my insights will spark a flame of inspiration in others, or at least cultivate some laughs along the way.

PS: Comments Please! I would love to know others' resolutions!

PPS: If you are worried about the Mayan prophecy that the world will end on December 21, 2012, ask yourself this question: When was the last time you saw a fucking Mayan?

No comments:

Post a Comment