My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Travel Day 16: Saturday, 06/30/2012

9:32
Enjoyed a nice run (about 6-7 km) and some yoga, then had breakfast with an older lady whose son is in the hospital here. There's a lady in my room in the same situation, so I guess it's common here. Repeated my breakfast from yesterday, it's just so damned good! and snagged 2 rolls (multigrain and poppy seed) for the road/tracks.

It's so incredibly perfect outside! That's how I  met the lady, I wanted to sit outside but all the tables were full, so I asked to sit with her. Her english was good but she either missed things I said or is like Gramma because I had to repeat some of the things I had already told her earlier. She was surprised that I was alone and wanted to be, and didn't believe that I had largely relied on myself instead of my parents - she insisted that my parents raised me and it made me realize that I really don't think they did. True, they offered me their own variety of guidance, and my basic needs, but I don't feel they 'raised' me. Now I think of it though, that's exactly how parents should be, not aloof, but also not too involved as self-identity for both parent and child is critical for Human sanity. This is what IW and I were talking about on the bus last night. What does it even mean to 'raise' a child? There's certainly no clear right or wrong way to do it. For my part, I'm inclined now more than ever to say my parents did a great job. They had significant flaws they never tried to hide and I learned from negative attributes as much as their positive [behaviors] along with the love they offered. And especially now, seeing how strong and independent I am, I'm faced with having to admit that a combo of all our personalities  created one kick-ass person! Huh, that's a different way of looking at it. Take that shadow Abandoned Child! [I'm referring to the negative aspect of an archetype that leaves me with a chronic fear of abandonment]

Ok, have to pack up and head to the hauptbanhof :)

15:40 Train to Munchen
Lunch:
SR - "Schwabenteller"Zwei Schweinemedaillons vonn Grill mit Frischen Champignons in Rahn, Bube-Spitzle, Geschmalzten Maultaschle und Butterspatzel (Literal: 2 Pork filets, grilled, with fresh mushrooms in cream sauce with Bubespitzle, like french fry/dumplings, Maultaschen and spatzle with butter and orange breadcrumbs)
Me - Zwiebelrostbraten "Schwäbische Art" mit Sauerkraut, Maultaschle und Butterspatzel
Without realizing it, I essentially ordered the beef covered in onions dish again, but it also came with Saurkraut, deliciously salty and made with bacon I think, and Maultaschen, which was a bit different than Todi's version. I like it better as it was steamed and more of a whole component, not cut up into pieces and pan fried like Todi's rendition.
Speaking of which, I was initially trying to get us to Todi's but I wasn't sure exactly where it was, though I knew we were close, so we went to a great place by a fountain. SR said the entrees were typical Bavarian and I'd see the same in Munchen, but added the Maultaschle was a Sweibien kick. He was satisfied cuz he wanted traditional Maultaschle and wheat beer (can't quite remember the German name, but it effectively sound like 'white' Bier) and I like unfiltered wheats so I had 2 myself. An enormous, salty, fucking phenomenal meal, 2 x 500mL wheat beers and 30 Euro later and I'm on the train to Munchen, then Fussen, already missing SR. I'm in love with him! I want to try to meet him when he's in California in September and he's going to be my reference for my clinical research European applications; namely Sanofi, Paraxel and Pzifer. I also saw Bayer, so I should try that one too. Also - all the chemical suppliers (do an SAP search for DE [code for Germany in Amgen's computer system]) like BASF and others.

SR's mother is actually an MRI tech for MS research studies!! How crazy is that?! Anyway, we had a great lunch and we get along so easily with one another. He's beautiful inside and out and we're obviously like-minded. He even complained about the lack of open dialogue in the UK. Apparently, like in the US, people only talk about weather and other mundane shit to avoid all possibilities of offending anyone. Also, our 'partners' were both sensitive and we found it difficult to determine what they wanted, having to guess cuz they weren't direct, and in general find double-speak and indirectness abhorrent. Now here's someone I can relate to!

I feel keenly for him as he told me about 2 weeks ago (must have been right after I met him), he and his partner decided to take a break. Because of the financial investment, they're still going to take the trip together in September and see how it goes from there. I wished him all the best and conveyed my sincerest hopes that it works out for the best either way, and told him that he'll obviously know what's best after being together for so long. It's certainly not for me to form an opinion!

Also, as he doesn't care for 'Queens' for the same reason I don't like feminists (perpetuation of negative stereotypes), I told him I would pay the money to go to San Francisco and go to a gay bar with him because he is going to be absolutely inundated with Queens. It's going to be hilarious. I'm too out of my 'Fag-Hag' practice to manage that cluster fuck!

Oh dear, my water baby has turned into twin bier babies, haha. Now, the key is to have an apple and mini-luna bar for dinner instead of a chocolate torte, chocolate drink, falafel pita and schnitzel, haha. Dear lord, how I let shit get out of hand!

Actually, that was the best part of our conversation. He mentioned how America was a land of extremes and I found myself agreeing and adding that I myself, to a fault, tend to go to extremes. Then I had one of those lightbulb moments and said that's why I wanted to come here so badly. I somehow strike a balance here, especially with regards to food (no checking nutrition facts or caring if the yogurt I eat in the morning is fat free, or that my salad comes dressed or my spatzle is covered in fucking butter, not hesitating to order a beer with my meal; no counting in general or at the very least less than normal), and he added that Germans also strictly separate personal lives from work lives. This is critical as I know all too well! Ultimately I found what I said to be true; I have no 'German habits' as I do in America. It's like the talking thing I was writing about before. Moving here is my chance to start over and be careful in the new habits I form, avoiding old/negative ones; leaving those associated with the American-Summer [in my past]. Effectively, I could reinvent myself.

I ran out of water... not good, and I didn't get a ticket for free water like before, boo. I guess I'll just have to stay buzzed a bit longer, haha. I'm just so thankful to have met SR, and IW too, and look forward to opportunities of seeing them again. I will go back to the States, knowing its temporary, and with new resolve. Run, learn, Germany, my new mantra.

Oh and SR and I like the same TV shows! Big Bang, Queer as Folk and Macgyver, haha. Yes, I would/will definitely take a flight to LA or San Fran to meet him there. And I realized something else great: I'll get paid for July 4th! So there's another $150 added to my account. I'll be interested to see how much this trip ends up costing me..... It doesn't matter, I will be richer as a result; I already am with the friends I've made, the food I've eaten and the things I've seen. There's no monetary value on those things, they are priceless.

Oh geez, I just flipped through my book and saw HS's info then thought of her 'arrangement' with her friend's cousin. Is it wrong that I really want to ask SR if he'll marry me? I'm not even kidding.... is that bad? Is that my surprise?! It would be a dream come true, I'd be delighted to spend the rest of my life with him, even without sex. One more thing, just in case I haven't adequately beaten the dead horse. SR took his pic in a photo booth cuz he needed a monthly transportation pass in Stuttgart, he showed it to me complainingly along with a pic of him at 18 (he seriously looked like a 12 year old with geek glasses) and I joked with him, but honestly I thought he looked hot in his pics. I showed him my drivers license and he said he could tell I was thinner in the face now. I mentioned that I think I looked healthier/better then at a higher weight and he said I looked better now, perfect for my height and had a pretty face in general. He's one of the only people who has said that I looked better now, I'm used to people 'worrying' about me now because they're used to the old me. This, more than the 'pretty' comment, which I actually didn't really register until now, made me love him more. Then, when we were waiting for my train I realized my passport photo would definitely make him feel better, and it did! He laughed and said he wouldn't even know it was me. It truly is a horrible picture, haha. Then my train arrived and we hugged a good-bye, lingered a bit (I'm not imagining this) and made promises of keeping in touch. I'm just starting to realize now that we definitely registered a mutual, non-superficial if not deep, connection. There is something to this.... thank you.

19:00
An hour to go on this wretched train! No A/C.... so hot.... wind from windows not enough.... couldn't fill Nalgene so I had to pay 3.15Euro for a 1L bottle of Avian.... Boo Hoo. There's sweat dripping off the place where my skin on the back of my legs are touching the seat.... awesome. A bug bit my neck.... Conclusion: Regional trains aren't fun - I happened to see a fucking Aldi's of all stores right next to the train stop for Kaufering. I didn't realize it at first, but I looked at the map and Fussen is damn near the Austrian border. Cool.

I love that my directions say to walk west from Fussen Hbf; I wish I had a compass! Maybe there'll be a huge pic/statue of Arnold Schwartzenegger indicating the border of Austria, then I'll know that's South. The train is headed South, so I guess I'll just have to make a note of West when I exit the train and try not to get turned around.

I can't believe the German PT system's economy hasn't completely crashed. I bought the 24 hour bus/train pass for Heidelberg, but as I suspected, I could've just hopped on and off at will, no one checked my ticket once! (same as in every other place) I hate to take advantage but.... ok, that's obviously a lie. I may actually have the thief archetype.... I stole a magnet in Heidelberg.... I should feel worse than I do, which is not at all. Karma dictates I will likely have something stolen from me, so I must be prepared to take responsibility. These are good lessons.

I just finished The Hunger Games and the last chapter was fairly emotionally exhausting because she struggles to grieve for her sister's death. To be fair, I'm also hot, dehydrated, stuffed, constipated (surprise, surprise) and coming down off the 1L of bier. That's what I signed up for, but enjoying lunch with SR was 150% worth it! Oh! and I forgot to add that we passed Todi's on the way back to the Hbf! It's just around the corner from the place we all had dessert the first night I met him. We had a great laugh at that. But we both agreed our lunch was superior in every respect.

During lunch SR reached out and touched my shoulder and asked "what do you call these?" At first I thought, tattoos? Celtic Cross? cuz I thought that's what he pointed to, but then he said "No, the brown spots." I laughed and said freckles, yes, I have so many on my shoulders I just look really tan, it's just one big mass of freckles. He said they're called 'Summer spots' in Germany, haha; makes sense to me!

Wow, I'm seriously in the middle of nowhere... tits. IS told me the castle in Fussen is the one Disney based his off and one of the oldest in the world. No matter the cost, I'm going in!

21:51
Well, it's nice to be still while writing, but I'm in the dungeon of this hostel waiting for clothes to dry, which I just washed. I was outside, and was going to write there, but I was literally eaten alive by mosquitos! I forgot how annoying those bites were. There's supposedly free wifi here but I can't seem to sign on.... oh well.

So, where's here? One of the most fucking beautiful towns I've ever seen, that's where [Pic Link]. It didn't take long after I last wrote to notice I could begin to see the Alps in the distance and the scenery was quickly changing to forest, farms and grazing pastures with sparse, beautiful, homes and lots of very tiny towns. The mountains come on very fast. At first I thought they were snow capped, but then I realized that it was actually the light color of the rock the mountains are made of; something I'd never considered. The cows are very light tan here, I wonder if they taste better, haha.
Views from the train
I was going to head into Fussen's Altstadt after checking in but decided to plan for tomorrow and wash clothes instead. Tomorrow's going to be a day full of great hiking and castle seeing on the 'Royal Walk'!
  1. The walk up to Schloss Hohenschwangau is about 5 km (45-50 minutes) from the Bahnhof
  2. The walk is then more of a hike of 40 minutes to Schloss Neuschwanstein; there's a 30 minute trail or 40 minutes 'walk/street' so I think I'll hike up and walk the street down. That way I see both and it satisfies my inane tendency to not come down the same way I go up.
I figure I'll do the Royal Walk during the day, then come down and explore the town a bit. There's also a big cemetery, and if I don't have the time tomorrow, I think I'll jog there Monday morning; it looks like a 20 minute walk, so the jog should only take 10 minutes.

I get a discount at the castles, both for 21Euro, and the tours take about 30 minutes. Or, I can do 11Euro each (these rates are reduced because I'm staying at the hostel!) in case I don't want to do both.... I'm torn, will walking around be enough? I've come all this way and I feel I really should do the tours.... even if they aren't in english, haha. I just inherently don't like tours because I can't wander, but in this case, unlike Ludwigsburg, I do feel like I'd be missing out. Ok, I'm going for it! When in Fussen.... you see castles!

Tentative Schedule cuz I enjoy planning:
6:30 Shower/Prep for the Day
7:00 Breakfast
7:30 Head to Castle H, buy tickets, do earliest tour, look about
12:00 Go to Castle N, tour, walk about and go to Marienbruke bridge
14:30 Head down to altstadt (take bus if tired), look about and pick a place for dinner, go back to shower
17:00 Dinner then explore cemetery and Misc

Great, this sounds very feasible! And doing the cemetery after dinner will be perfect :) Planning just gives me such a sense of 'goal'/'on a mission'. I love the drive; and yes, I'm fully aware that I'm justifying my own actions to myself, which is pure insanity, but this is my acceptance of myself. Good plan, little one, tomorrow promises to be another great one! I'm off to bed for my big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment