My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Travel Day 17: Sunday, 07/01/2012

09:40 [Fussen Pics]
My tour at Schloss Hohenschwangau [Castle H] starts in 10 minutes! Then my tour at the other castle is at 12:05. Perfect timing :) The walk here was gorgeous; there's so many slugs and meadows of flowers and dense trees, it's all so gorgeous. The castles have obviously been redone, but they still look great and there's cuckoo clock shops.
On the trail
Schloss Hohenschwangau
I decided to empty my pack and use that today, it's way better than the purse. I also brought my pedometer for S&G then had the genius idea to reset the time and use it as a watch; and it's much more accessible than the iPod. All the trail times on the map are for old people apparently cuz I do them in half the time. I may walk around the lake (Alpsee) or I think there's a trail that actually crosses the Austrian border! I'm going to ask and if it does, I'm all over it. Tour time.

13:22
I'm even ahead of schedule, I'm amazing! and utterly fucking exhausted... After the first tour, which was cool, a good length though others said it was short and disappointing. Any longer and I would've been bored and antsy. Schloss H has obviously been redone and has really lost any feeling that it's even old, but there was cool shit inside. It's privately owned by the duke so no pics (in either castle). After that tour I hauled ass around the lake trail and did it in about an hour, then had to basically run all the way straight up to the other castle, making my tour with about 2 minutes to spare. It was a gorgeous hike though.
Both castles from the other side of Lake Alpsee; N on the left and S on the right.
Castle N from Castle S; notice how far up I had to hike. It was a good thing I live in Colorado at the time!
Castle N from the bridge over the gorge.
Schloss Neuschwanstein [Castle S] was WAY cooler and it's the one Disney modeled. It wasn't finished because they stopped construction when Ludwig died, still absolutely tits though. That one bridge was over a fucking gorge, so I went and took 3 pics and ran off the damn thing. Now I'm having my 2nd sandwich and resting before my trek down to Altstadt. Quite a haul today!

So, this place is fucking packed with Asians. It's crazy. Sadly, I found my stress elevating as I was surrounded by more Americans; always negatively criticizing or making extremely obvious statements. I kept my mouth shut and hoped to God no one thought I was also American. Sad, but true.

I have all Asian hostel-mates and for small people, damn do they snore loudly! I doubt I got over 3-4 hours of sleep, haha. Those are my racisms, Americans and Asians. I oughtn't have any; now there's a life long goal. As concerns Americans, I just feel resentful for the way they act and knowing I'm like that too and I don't want to be. This requires acceptance that I need God's help with. One day at a time. For now, I'm just really happy I'm here and having this opportunity.

16:00
And thank you once again God! Literally, right after I wrote that above I struck up a conversation with 4 girls studying abroad in France from Georgia Tech. They looked so young! They were really nice girls and I enjoyed talking to them; ok, ok, so not all Americans are horrible, haha. I think it's just that the 2 guys on the tour of Schloss N with me were so typical white guy-mundane. I'm just so desperate for something/someone/someplace different. It's unfair for me to blame my dislike of my old habits, the ordinary, on them or anyone else.... like turbo-engine snoring Asians.

So.... now for the coolest part. I bought Mom a cuckoo clock at the shop I saw across from the ticket sales building! Not only did I get Mom one, but I got one too!! Mom's is red and has a St. Bernard on it; mine is green with a guy drinking bier, haha. Both are hand crafted, all wood, authentic German cuckoos made in the Black Forest! Best of all, since I shipped them to Mom in the US, they took off the 19% German tax and added a $35 shipping charge, so I ended up saving like $30 [on each]. Sweet, yay! I was so excited I had a smile on my face all 5 km back to Fussen.

Now I'm at Aquila Restaurant enjoying a cappuccino and a wonderful pasta Italy-meets-India dish with turkey breast, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, peas, chives, tomato, peppers and carrots, covered in a delicious curry cream sauce. Since it's only 16:11, I will still have plenty of time to go see the church though it is kinda rainy/cold now. My feet are going to deserve a break tonight! According to my pedometer I've walked 13.36 miles today. Woot.
I think the key to satiety and health is milk fat. I've been eating a lot of it and it's great fuel!

Oh goodness, 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' just came on, haha. Wow, I was gonna have dessert but it's so early and that was so filling (I'm feeling too good to ruin it with guilt). My tummy is happy, so I'm calling it good. I just saw there's a walkway, 'Konig Ludwig Promenade', right to the cemetery. Werd.

I literally can't wait to tell Mom to expect her B-day surprise in 3-4 weeks via DHL. Then I'll impatiently have to wait to bring home my own clock!

18:32
I went to the souvenir shop to finish shopping and by the time I was done it was a freezing downpour. Since I was in cloth short-shorts and a tank top, I bee-lined it for the hostel. It's cleared up a bit, so I may go back out to the cemetery.

Tomorrow: Fussen (RE 08:06) to Munich (10:06)

Gift Inventory:
Dad - Swedish guitar pick
Step-Mom - Schloss N keychain
Gramma - Swedish keychain
Mom - Shotglass
Sis - German pants coin purse and Cow soap
Bro In-Law - Das Boot shotglass
Younger Niece - Teddy bear thing
Older Niece - Schloss N tea set
Nephew - Schloss N bier mug set
Mom's BF - Swedish mini mug
Charlie's Sitter - Cuckcoo clock magnet

Now I'm re-thinking my travel plans. Munich to Berchtesgarten is 3 hours, each way. Munich to Nuremberg is only 1.5 hours OR I could just use the free travel day on the S bahn and further explore Munich. That way I can leave Fussen a little later tomorrow as well.... oh the options! I would really like to explore the cemetery and I could take the morning to do it justice and store my stuff in a lockers downstairs while I'm out. Hmmm, that definitely sounds less stressful... I'll be honest, my feet are done for the day and Munich is supposed to be awesome, so I think I should have more time there. And, this way I won't have to pay to store my pack at Munich Hbf. Ok, I've obviously talked myself into it! I need to go check out those lockers though and be sure I can use one until noon or so...

20:57
.... Sure can, then I was able to get online, so I just wasted about 2 hours. I'm feeling guilty for eating an apple, piece of Valrhona and small luna bar. Why?! I was gonna get dessert and didn't; no, I'm proud, damn proud!

Tentative plan for tomorrow:
06:30-07:30 Shower/store pack/breakfast
07:30-11:30 1) König Ludwig Promenade and cemetery, 2) Ziegetangerweg/Ziegelberg
12:06 Train to Munich, arrive 14:04

Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment