My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thought of the Day 3/3/2012: My Ethnic Bias

I was shopping today when an observation hit me and I wondered: Why does it always seem like black people have more fun than everyone else?  Seriously, this is something I now realize I've noticed my entire life.  And by my entire life, I mean since the first time I actually saw a black person; I was around 15 years old.  Anyway, every time I see a black person they are either laughing, dancing or just plan acting jovial and carefree.  They act the why I feel, yet I keep it mostly inside to avoid side-long glances of disapproval.  It's always made me want to hang out with them, and though I have had black friends, it has failed to satisfy my enthusiasm for them as these friendships have been transient.

For example, the best black friend I've ever had was named Tiffany and we worked at a King Soopers deli together.  She frequently missed work because she had been arrested for assaulting her boyfriend.  Though I gave her rides to and from work I was never allowed in her house because it 'wasn't safe for me.'  I should've been scared or offended, instead I was mesmerized and loved Tiffany all the more.  Working with her, when she wasn't in jail, was an absolute blast.  We were always dancing, singing and laughing.  She conditioned me into referring to everyone as either Mister or Miss, and taught me fun phrases like 'kick rocks,' 'pump yo' brakes,' and my favorite 'ain't nothin' to it but to do it.'  Tiffany took both delight and pride in hearing my painfully white self speaking in this manner.  Best of all, she called me her 'Uh-Oh Oreo,' perceiving that I was white on the outside but black on the inside.  And by today's observation I find this to be true; it would certainly explain my obsession with Hip Hop music.

So what is this exuberance and magnetism?  Is it based in ethnicity?  Do white people just take themselves far too seriously?  Am I biased and only think that black people are more fun due to my culturally depraved past?

Either way, I need more black friends....... Any volunteers?

2 comments:

  1. This should be on Tosh.O's "Is it Racist?" Although, Patrick thinks that it's an endearing sort of racism. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've already gotten an offer of friendship, so I think it's fine. I've always been inordinately unaware of 'racist' comments because, well, I'm so used to offending everyone that I don't pay attention to the color of their skin. As a biologist, I can't justify amending my language because of one tiny pigment protein. Besides, you're not white and that's why I love you! Nora is the white friend, haha; I can only have one white friend at a time.

    ReplyDelete