My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thought of the Day 3/8/2012: Sora and Nummer


Nora is flying in for a visit today!  The kindest and most considerate of our college tri-fecta of caustic wit, her's is a superbly intelligent brand of impropriety.  Whereas Nancy and I were direct with our inappropriate comments and took blatant joy in the discomfort of others, Nora was more stealthy.  She'd often obscure her incongruous retorts with sociable savvy, delaying someone's 'WTF!?' comment with enough time to vacate the immediate area.

Nora and I met in our 'Punk Rock' english course Freshman year and I immediately took to her outspoken and jocular views which, though they reflected my own, were articulated in a way my country upbringing ill-suited me to match.  Once I discovered that we not only lived on the same floor of our dormitory, but she was also friends with my cohort and hall-mate Nancy, we all became positively inseparable.  By accident one day, someone in our CAS class referred to us a Sora and Nummer and it stuck for awhile, once we were finished humiliating him for his error of course.

My love for Nora is parallel only to the love I possess for her entire family.  They're Jews and as I was starved for cultural diversity in college, this intrigued me.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but before I met Nora I held the firm belief that Judaism was a dead religion.  Anyway, her mother, Amy, and I share enough odd similarities to make us kindred spirits; we have the same birthday and use the same brand and flavor of chapstick, which we apply liberally and often.  Nora's grandfather was especially entertaining.  A delightful old soul, I was chided for encouraging his inane behavior during a memorable Seder dinner of lox and bagels as I had laughed emphatically when he said 'You think it's funny, but its snot,' after he had sneezed.  I'm a sucker for a good pun.

I love you Nora, and I can't wait to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment