My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sweet Mother Mary and Joseph: I Finally Made It Out!

My aforementioned concern regarding the flight abroad not only hit the mark, but blew threw it, knocked out 2 walls behind it and then went out to outer-fucking-space to take out a few Aliens for spite. I could have never, in a million years, anticipated what I would have to endure to exit the US. I most certainly went out like a lion; and will be in no hurry to return anytime soon.

As soon as exiting the plane at LAX I made a beeline for the customer service area to check-in for my flight to Sydney, where I was once again informed that I had no reservation. SERIOUSLY?! After an extremely lengthy phone call between United and the kiosk representative, during which I paced nervously, wearing a hole in the already threadbare carpet, yet receiving no updates, the agent finally gave me back my passport and told me they THINK they fixed the issue. Feeling hopeful, though not optimistic, I headed to the gate to check-in as the agent had instructed. Once there, the gate attendant tried multiple times to check me in without success, but finally another agent angrily told them what they were doing wrong and quickly printed my boarding pass. Thank the Lord above, right? WRONG. We are now about 5 minutes prior to boarding this packed 15-hour flight. As an after thought the attendant decided to check my flights to New Zealand to make sure I wouldn’t have any issues in Australia. I was extremely appreciative of this right up until the agent discovered that by some oversight my stay in Australia was greater than 27 hours. A traveler, of any citizenship, can only stay in Australia, in a strictly country-hopping capacity, for up to 8 hours; otherwise they require a Visa. Since United failed to inform me of this necessity, I did not have one. The aforementioned angry-pants agent then did something that provoked me to burst into hysterical tears; they ripped up my boarding pass and told me I couldn’t go to Sydney. They were now boarding my section.

The gate agent told me that I could apply for a Visa online, but how? Where? Would there be enough time? I couldn’t call anyone because once again, my phone can’t make calls. Everything came crashing down on me, the harsh realization: I was in LAX with no way to get anywhere, and I my life abroad was now in ruins for the second time. I couldn’t help but experience defeat; it simply wasn’t meant to be…. I felt crushed. My new life was over before it had even begun and still worse, I had no 'old life' to go back to.

Then something unexpected and absolutely amazing happened, about 5 people immediately set to the task of somehow getting me this Visa within the next 15 minutes, prior to boarding closure. One women, I’ll call her my Angel, sat me down and explained that she had done the application online for her husband and herself a couple of days ago and they got their Visas instantly. For some divine reason, though the complimentary Wi-Fi was not working for anyone else in the area, Safari fired up on my phone. She found the website and got the application open for me, I literally shook while filling it out and made a lot of mistakes as I fretted over completing it on-time; it was going to be a photo finish. Motivated by her resolve, my optimism grew and I decided then and there that this shit-tastic debacle would somehow workout; I was being tested and I was determined to prove how badly I wanted this change in my life. I seemed to be moving along smoothly so my Angel boarded the plane with her husband and assured me that she’d see me onboard. On the second to last page of the application I was having difficulty getting the website to accept the phone number I had entered, and the sketchy internet connection was starting to waiver. They were now boarding the last group and only a handful of people remained in the gate area. Literally sweating cortisol, I began to tear up again affirming ‘I’m not going to make it’, and that’s when a younger guy came over to help me. The application finally accepted the phone number and now I was entering my payment information, he read me the credit card numbers because I was shaking too violently to hold both the phone and the credit card. Miraculously, within seconds it processed and sent me my email confirmation. He went down the jetway as I re-checked in with LITERALLY seconds to spare; they shut the gate, and also the airplane doors, behind me. When I entered the plane more than a few people actually cheered, sharing in my relief at having made the flight! If these were Australians, I loved them!

Phew, but seriously, WTF?! I took my seat in full adrenaline burn out and coaxed myself to breath. It was over; I was on the plane and bound for Australia…. I’ll figure out the New Zealand thing tomorrow. If the worst thing that happens to me in Sydney is having to stay there for a night, I will consider myself the most blessed person on God’s green Earth.

FINALLY!!! 

PS. To United Airlines I say this: VERY BADLY DONE! I was such a loyal United customer, but losing both of my itineraries in one day and selling me a literally impossible connection through a foreign country is too much to bare. There’s nothing I can really do, but I’ll certainly think twice before booking with United ever again (...8over  years later, I've kept this promise to myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment