My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Monday, February 9, 2015

Thought of the Day 09/02/2015: My Day Amongst the Aussie's

Note that I changed the date format to be consistent with my new home, I will also be referring to things in Celsius, Meters and Military time.
Yay, Sydney!
[Link to Pics via Facebook]

After the utter madness of getting abroad, I made the wise decision to ask the fine people with Air New Zealand about my itinerary for the next day. After being assured that everything was in order and that there should not be any issues, I took a shower at the airport to freshen up after my 15-hour flight and used their free computers to book a night at a hostel that a few people on the plane recommended. Complimentary Wifi, hot shower, comfy bed, incredible view of the harbor and close proximity to the Botanical Gardens for only $40; yes please!

As I strolled through the gardens for a few hours, many thoughts and emotions swirled in my mind. I teared up when it finally dawned on me that I had made it; I had left the US. I couldn't help but think about all my friends and family back in their own little towns, going about their normal business, working their jobs and dealing with life as they usually do; but not me, I'm here. No job, nothing planned, just living for the walk and taking in the sights, smells and sounds of Sydney, Australia. These sentiments were not to provoke jealousy, insinuate that I was somehow superior, or to snub other peoples way of life. Instead, they served to remind me how phenomenally grateful I am, and how thankful I  need to be everyday that I've broken whatever binds I felt existed that kept me in the USA up until now. Invisible binds indeed, ones that we all bare is some way, because I have not done or accomplished anything that anyone else could not do or accomplish. I simply made a decision, made whatever sacrifices needed to be made to follow-through with that decision, and then resolved to deal with the consequences of that decision. Now here I am, slightly anxious perhaps, but with absolutely no regrets.

While walking along the other side of the harbor I saw a guy fishing, so I asked him what people caught in Australia. He replied that he was hoping to catch some 'Brim' (which I discovered were spelled Bream after googling them), and then showed me one that he had caught. It looked like a kind of trigger fish, too skinny to be tasty, but he said they had a good flavor. I thanked him for showing me and continued down the path. I also found it extremely inspiring that literally everyone was running. There were far more runners than walkers; it made me feel a little lazy!
Black Bream
The last place I planned to explore was Hyde park, but I only got through half it before I began feeling really anxious. Fearing it might be my blood sugar, I sat, ate a protein bar and drank some water, but the anxiety would not relent. I felt weak and decided that I was probably exhausted due to jet-lag, not too mention the hot and humid conditions that were likely making my body say 'WTF, Where am I?!' I began my long trek back feeling a bit defeated, but forced myself to be proud that I was taking care of myself rather than pushing myself onward for no good reason.

I feel slightly more recovered now after sleeping for a long while. Tentative plans to drink wine last night and to run this morning have been put off until my arrival in New Zealand. I know it's a failing on my part, but I'm just so focused on getting there that I'm not interested in much here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment