My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Thought of the Day 18/02/2015: Sore Thighs and Beautiful Views

Good Morning!
Link to Arthur's Pass Pics

You'll find this posting brief because I'm positively exhausted. Though my thighs were burning pretty good from my tramp yesterday, I started my morning out right with an hour of fairly intense hiking via Arthur's Pass walking trail. I then headed on down the road to reach my next destination, a 3 hour trip to Punakaiki.
I was immediately struck my how quickly the mountain drive turned into a coastal highway sporting rainforest-like foliage. It was absolutely breathtaking! Upon arriving in Punakaiki the hostel receptionist suggested I hike the Punakaiki River Trail, a 2 hour out and back, then see the famed Pancake Rocks in the morning when the blowholes are more active. I took her advice, and so far I'm very glad I did; the walk along the river was positively gorgeous. It was also a lot more level and less strenuous than this morning, but nevertheless, I'm one exhausted girl! Especially considering that once I had come back and had a bite I decided to head out again, this time down to a private beach that the hostel owns. Like everything else, it was also amazingly beautiful!
Link to Punakaiki Pics
The Punakaiki River Trail
The Beach
Three hours of hiking in one day when I haven't tramped in awhile might prove to be more than my thighs had bargained for, haha. Tonight I decided to treat myself to some very expensive internet and much needed posting time. Tomorrow I'll take a rest day and head to Nelson where I'm going to a friend's house for dinner. These friends are the only people I know in New Zealand, and I only met them for a few minutes at a friend's wedding back in New York last June, but I'm very excited to meet them again. I really can't wait to eat some real food! I've been living off of protein bars, spicy thai flavoured canned tuna fish, carrots, apples and pretzels. Today I decided to treat myself to a treat, however, for hiking fuel.
Oddly, even though it's label 'Sugar Bun', it was definitely less sweet than it would've been in the States. I think it's like a scone with raisins and it kind of tasted lemony. Regardless, it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment