My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thought of the Day 02/05/2015: Home Is Where the Heart Is

It's my last night at my Sister Sarah's house in beautiful LaFargeville, NY. In reflection, here are just a few of my cherished moments from the trip that make this place home:
- Being rushed in the airport and greeted by 3 adorable children all screaming "Aunt Summie!"

- Acting as a Buckin' Bronco for Quinton and Lucy
- Playing the part of a stay-at-home House Frau by cooking, cleaning and caring for the chittlins, and actually loving it!
- Nursing Vera's ankle after she fell while dancing and finally finding a use for my chronically cold hands
- Snuggling with Lucy on the couch
- Getting schooled in the plethora of animal species by Quinton, doing his homework with him and winning Digimon battles so his little digital critter will digivolve
- Drinking my Mom, Brenda's, coffee in lieu of taking a laxative
- Completely unanticipated Divine Interventions
- Laughing with Sarah over memories of Amanda, particularly her assertion that "Him's so Regal" (imagine her sitting with a cat in her lap, making the cat act as though it's petting itself)
- Humoring my nieces and nephew by consistently calling the cat (Slop) and dog (Layla) by incorrect names (Bootsie/Kitty-Kitty-Mow-Mow and Lola/Lolita/Letitia, respectively), and watching their epic battles
- Multiple coffee and brunch dates with dear old friends (Some were old friends, others just old. Haha!)
My beloved adopted Grandmother, Annie!
- Having breakfast with my Dad and Brenda each morning after my daily workout
- Free haircuts and photo sessions al la Nana (aka Momma Brenda)
- Listening to Lucas, my extremely quiet Brother-in-Law, laugh like a hyena while watching his wife's face dance around as an animated elf (Sorry, I'd post the video but I'm afraid my Sister might cause me significant bodily harm as a result)
- Quality conversations with all the kids, who never cease to astound me by their intelligence and self-awareness

- Getting unfailing support and encouragement from my loved ones in the face of the most terrifying adventure I've ever set myself upon (including my Sister threatening to beat me with a wooden kitchen spoon if I didn't get a grip)
Aunt Di, the one partially responsible for all my tattoos!
- Watching Vera fabricate, practice and perform her own choreographed dance; Juilliard here she comes!

Vera's Dance is better; damn this song is catchy!

With that, I'm off! Rest assured my entire journey will be chronicled, though the next 3 days will be nothing but plane rides, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment