My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Thought of the Day 15/02/2015: Unexpected Reactions and Adventures!

Link to Christchurch Pics
This gorgeous mural literally materialised before my eyes in just a couple of days.
The greatest thing happened to me today. This morning the hostel receptionist mentioned paying for my stay so I asked her the total, to which she replied $203. I thought that was cheap for my 9-night stay, being the price for a 7-night stay, but decided to be thankful instead of paranoid about the booking. I was bummed when she said I’d need to pay cash, however, because I need to withdraw my debit card’s max of $500 every day to finish paying for my car by Tuesday morning. With the hostel expense, my ownership of Hank would be delayed until Wednesday. This bleak news compounded with the fact that I’m itching to get out and see some of the vast beauty NZ has to offer, along with the eternal waiting game pertaining to prospective job callbacks should have had Control Freak Summer all a tither. Yet for some mysterious reason that anxiety never materialised, what did linger was the ominous feeling with regards to my hostel booking. I thought I was checking out on 19-02, but when did they think I was checking out? I looked in their scheduling planner and saw the last day my name appeared was Monday 16-02, which meant they had me checking out on the 17th. Now the ‘Oh Shits’ really started kicking in, but instead I experienced something completely unexpected, excitement.
Random oversized armchair art. Fun!
Now, something happened in between discovering I had to pay the hostel cash, thus delaying Hank-ownership, and finding out that I had to leave the hostel two days earlier than planned, which functioned to calm potential stress. While at the ATM today I discovered the $500 limit on my card was in USD, I can actually take out about $650 NZD per transaction. Tuesday was still a go for Hankity goodness; I even got him a present today! 

Consequently, leaving the hostel on Tuesday is no biggie because I could turn Hank into ‘Chez Summer’, buy a pillow and some blankets and crash in the car. There were other options as well, like calling the Nelson hostel to ask if I could check-in a couple of days early, which I could have. Then I thought: ‘wait, I’m in NZ and have two nights to go wherever I want!’ ADVENTURE!

I had planned on going to Arthur’s Pass, a 2.5 hour drive NW into the mountains, anyway so why not stay a night there?! Then the receptionist also suggested staying in Punakaiki for a night, a really neat town with a natural wonder called ‘pancake rocks’ on the Western coast and practically on my way to Nelson if I was driving through the mountains. In addition to my love of anything having to do with pancakes, by happenstance I had already bookmarked this hike in my NZ Frenzy guide as a must-see destination! Finally, I knew it was meant to be when both towns had a place for me to sleep for the nights I needed though it’s ‘high season’ and they’re usually completely booked. Not only am I stupid excited about this interim exploit, I’m exceedingly proud of myself for not completely losing my shit when my initial plans started falling apart. Major progress!

The ICC Cricket World Cup is in Christchurch!
Now I’m going to treat myself to my favorite nighttime snack to celebrate: POPCORN! (ok, I would’ve eaten it anyway, haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment