My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Friday, February 6, 2015

Thought of the Day 02/06/2015: Divine Healing

A fool-proof, God-given, recipe for health:
Eat - Drink - Rest - Wait
This is something I've wanted to discuss for awhile, something that I find equal parts comforting and empowering. Think about it, if there's something wrong that can't be cured by one of these things, the sufferer is likely fucked. Even taking things like over-the-counter painkillers for headaches, muscle pain or fevers can each just as easily be addressed by simply drinking more water, warm with lemon juice in the case of the sore muscles. Indeed, dehydration causes many potentially dangerous issues, which is why we can live substantially longer without food than water. Even when plagued by diseases such as Cancer, Diabetes and Heart Disease, proper monitoring and administration of food, water and rest alone can usually keep someone alive for a reasonable life span. Additionally, regardless of how one believes we got here, Humans did not have much to work with medicinally until fairly recently and had only these things to address their ailments.  Moreover, medicines really only function to speed up our bodies innate abilities to heal, such as improving immune function with antibiotics, quickly hydrating via IV solutions, or dulling intense discomfort with pain meds while the Body heals itself.

This concept occurred to me a few times throughout the last couple of years, and my epiphany led me to build an innate communication with my Body that left me feeling empowered, and also helped ease my hypochondriac-based anxiety considerably. This first incident happened to be the Berlin debacle, about which I've written previously. I came out of the situation feeling in complete harmony with my Body. Make no mistake, I was in real trouble; but being in a different country prompted me to rely on myself instead of medical professionals and I came out of the situation all the wiser, along with a new ability to address my Body's needs using only water and rest.

Another time I implemented this healing method I found myself hiking at an altitude of around 13,000 ft, on my way to 14,000+ ft (14er), in the middle of a boulder field. I began feeling dizzy, light-headed, nauseous and anxious (classic symptoms of hypoglycemia and dehydration). In that moment I knew I had two options, up or down; the only serious medical help available was via helicopter, and if an ambulance is considered expensive, just wait for a Medevac bill! So, being too stubborn to descend after hiking two hours and being so near the summit, I decided to eat a protein bar, drink some water, and sit down on one of the many boulder God had made available for my ass to rest upon. After about 20 minutes I caught a second-wind and practically jogged the rest of the way, feeling extremely proud of myself for assessing my needs and not giving into my anxiety. Similarly, my friend DB got sick and harfed halfway up Grays peak on one memorable hike. Like me, some water and a 30 minute sit down was all he needed and we hit not one, but two 14er's that day!
Champs!
Lastly, I apply this technique while feeling symptoms of the viscous cycle of anxiety and hypoglycemic attacks I experience almost daily. Note that they can be disturbingly similar, not to mention that an anxiety attack involves the release of adrenaline, which in turn burns up blood sugar and causes hypoglycemia. When these classic characteristics present themselves I drink water and have a hypoglycemic friendly snack (almonds, fruit, yogurt), and wait 10 minutes. If I still don't feel better, I know it's not a sugar issue and likely just anxiety, so I switch to my self-soothing exercises to seek comfort, which in itself usually employs food and rest.
 
Now, please allow me to make one thing clear. I believe in this system because I have used it to some success, but I would never hesitate to seek medical attention when my Body tells me that it's in over it's head and needs professional help to heal. I am a scientist, a cellular biologist to be exact. After working in pharmaceuticals for over 6 years, I strongly believe in the use of medical interventions for all the reasons they are made available, especially vaccinations! The only point I'm trying to make here is when someone feels ill, instead of rushing to the hospital for drugs, it would be best that they first assess their symptoms with this primal healing system in mind. Learn to listen to the Body, and ask it if it needs a certain type of food, water or just a rest day, then give these essential elements time to work with the Body to fix the issue. By all means, if someone continues to feel shitty or the symptoms persist, they need to get their butt to a doctor; that's why we train and pay them so well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment