My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Thought of the Day 01/03/2015: Unconditional Love

Recently my Sister sent me a text that succinctly sums up what I consider to epitomize unconditional love:

"Sis. I'm always proud of you. Even when your a control freak with an eating disorder! Look at all you've done. That's pretty spectacular considering what we've come from. I love you!"

I'll leave out what prompted this response from her, but when I read it I instantly teared up. Admittedly, I struggle with the concept of love and anything considered intimate, including physical intimacy. Unconditional love almost completely escapes me, conspicuous entirely by it's scarcity in my life. For me, unconditional love is a feeling I get, a deep knowing that no matter what a person says or does, to me or anyone else, I could never create a resentment against them. I may not agree with or like how they conduct themselves or their everyday lives, but I love them wholly despite my misgivings or their humanly faults. In fact, only two people are encapsulated by my unconditional love, and one of them is my Sister. 

I could go on and on about how our childhood and death of our older Sister shaped the way I feel about my Sister, but suffice it to say that from an extremely young age I have admired her for being the one thing I will never be: relaxed, and without worry. Growing up she never cared what other people thought, nor let our unstable familial relationships work her into the frenzy that they inspired in me. Never verbose and always honest I simply worshipped her, whether she knew it or not. That praise is higher now more than ever as she continues to be the best mother to the best children I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, and I'm absurdly proud to be a member of that family. I love you Sis.

My Sister, best friend and idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment