My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Thought of the Day 12/02/2015: Random Travel Thoughts

Scenery along my walk to downtown Christchurch. It's a 20 minute walk, but gorgeous as it follows this cute little creek.
Here are a few fun random thoughts and conversations I've had during my travels:

1. Everyone in the US Knows They Screwed-Over Their Natives
Ok, this one isn't so much fun but sad, and borderline inhumane, but here goes. An Italian girl in Sydney asked me about how Americans felt about their natives and I became confused. To whom was she referring, what natives? It then dawned on me that she was speaking about Native Americans, literally, and my shameful response was to start laughing. I shook my head and said, “They got screwed.” She asked if all Americans felt that way and I replied yes; I truly trust that every American understands that we first killed off half the natives with disease and then bullied the rest onto reservations consisting of inhospitable soil to ensure they kept their ‘savage’ culture to themselves. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Americans guaranteed the Natives deterioration by granting them supreme authority over an otherwise illicit activity, gambling, and enabling their proclivity towards alcoholism. A vicious circle indeed! The Thanksgiving play from Addams Family Values particularly comes to mind.

After hearing this, she told me that she had spent some time on a reservation while visiting the states and this was exactly their view on things. She balked at how it was such common knowledge yet no one seemed to stand up for Natives rights. I wish I had an answer, but I don’t; I’m not sure why everyone seems to accept the bleak fate handed over to the Native Americans. As a little girl my father hauled us to ‘Pow-Wows’ nearly every weekend to celebrate our Native Seneca heritage (I was consistently the whitest kid there, they loved my golden curls), and I always enjoyed those trips. We’d all dance together around a huge fire adorned in leather clothing abundant with bell-laden frills, and then listen to the elders tell ancient allegorical tales of bears, wolves and foxes. Do Pow-Wows even occur anymore? Dammit, that makes me sad.

Interestingly, while discussing this with a fellow backpacker during dinner, they offered an alternate view that I had not considered. I spoke of my admiration for how New Zealand has preserved Maori culture, even incorporating the language into signage and retaining many of the town names; but they asked “preserved or exploited?” He went on to compare New Zealand’s treatment of the Maori culture to an exhibit at Disneyland. Immediately I saw what he meant. They hadn’t preserved it for the Maori’s sake, but for their own, as a tourist attraction. That also made me sad. I guess there’s more than one way Westerners have been shitty to native Tribesmen.

2. Tom's Proposition

This actually took me by surprise. True to my extroverted personality I was my normal Chatty-Kathy Self on my flight from Newark to Los Angeles. The guy sitting next to me was Israeli and we had a great conversation, sharing our life experiences and various views on life. As I was about to nap for a couple of hours, he said he had an odd request, to which I replied that I things rarely shocked me. I was proven wrong, however, when he propositioned me regarding a green card marriage, and he was perfectly serious. The odd thing is that I care so little for the institution of marriage that I would actually consider it under the right circumstances. Not for money which is what he offered, however, but to help someone who truly wanted to change their citizenship and was unable to do so any other way. Perhaps I sympathize with those people since I’m seeking to make the same transition; though it’s not the path I would choose. I could never be beholden to someone in that way, or respect myself for earning my citizenship in any other way than by proving myself a functional contributing member of the Society. Yet I understand, not only the desperation, but also the frustration surrounding trying to get a green card in the USA. People try for years without any success thanks to the lottery system and endless bureaucracy, even when they’re in successful careers such as Chemical Quality and Project Management.

3. Uncommon Fashion Sense
Simple question, difficult answer: Why the hell would you buy a pair of jeans that are literally in tatters? Furthermore, why do they cost more than jeans without holes? I know that this is an age-old question, but come on people! Logic insists that more material should cost more than less material, yet such is not the case. I digress however; because the real travesty is that these people think they look phenomenal. I think they look cold.

They beg the question: Were you attacked by a rabid badger?

4. That Dog Stole My Apples!
Don’t take apples across international borders. The result is that a beagle mix will sniff then out, you’ll be apple-less and that little bastard will get a treat! I’m just thankful that someone gave me the advice to declare my snacks with customs even if I wasn’t sure. If they had found those apples without a declaration I could have been fined over $1,000 at best, and jailed or deported at worst.

5. Passport Origin

I can’t remember at one point during my journey I had this thought, but while presenting my passport I stood waiting and staring into the little book. Suddenly I was back in Rochester, NY where I first applied over 10 years ago, sitting on a wooden bench feeling extremely excited at taking this critical step in my future travel-saturated future. I had the express intention of studying abroad at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand. That fell through, however, like so many things in my past due to lack of funds to get me there, even though financial aid would have covered the tuition. Any further questions regarding why I choose this destination? I’m an extremely determined person.

6. I Don't Know How to Count Kilojoules
I actually couldn’t help but laugh when I realized how easy it was going to be to break my calorie counting habit when I observed that food here is labeled with its energy value measured in kj (kilojoules) instead of calories. Full disclosure, I still check the label to make sure the fat:carb:protein ratio is to my liking, but give no regard to the overall count and I call that success dammit!

7. Odd Shopper 
I'd rather look through pharmacies and grocery stores than clothing shops and the like because I think one can get a better feel for the local culture and flavor that way. Just look at the cool shit I saw!
a) Ginger EVERYTHING

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Aussies and New Zealanders love ginger as much as I do. It’s available raw or crystallized as lozenges, in gummy bear form, in bars of dark chocolate, in pear cider (I can’t wait to try this!) and Ginger Beer, which is like Ginger Ale on steroids. Pretty much the most delicious drink ever.
b) Placental Cure Alls?

Uhhh, what is the biological foundation that placenta will not only make your hand incredibly soft but will also fight aging when taken as a supplement? I want to read that scientific study.
WTF?!
8. Lop-Sided Mindset

I’m not going to lie; I’m a bit more than apprehensive about driving on the left. If I can’t remember to walk on left of stairs and pathways (an issue I’ve experienced before in India), how am I going to remember to drive on the left? Well, I guess the car coming straight at me should tip me off. haha. Also, a women on my flight from LAX to SYD gave me some good advice: regardless of the country or side of the road one drives on, the driver is always positioned near the middle of the road. On the drive to the hostel, however, I was terrified when we entered a traffic circle and my brain started screaming ‘wrong way, wrong way!’ because we were going clockwise. Here’s to hoping I can make only left-hand turns and avoid all traffic circles.

9. Funny Money
Animals
New Zealand money is by far the coolest looking I’ve seen! It’s colorful and has these cool transparent spots, one of which is in the shape of a Silver Fern, the NZ national symbol. They also have coins for $2 and $1, same as Canada, which I’ve always preferred to $1 bills. There are people on one side (many of which are Queen Elizabeths) and critters on the other; and in just one day I’ve spent an awful lot of it!

Dignataries
10. Kiwi in a Day
Even I really must admit it, I killed it yesterday. I awoke at 0600 feeling terrified and confused, having no idea what I needed to do, where I needed to go, or how to get there. By 1700 I had bought a SIM card to activate my phone, filed for an IRD number (a tax ID number so that I can get paid when I find work), bought and registered a hardy car I will affectionately refer to as ‘Hank’ who has all the safety features necessary to keep me alive and also enough room to live in, eaten a phenomenal New Zealish version of Chicken Slovakia, bought groceries and opened a New Zealand bank account. No of these things would’ve been possible with the abundant, unfailing and sincere help and support offered to me by each and every person I interacted with. From the bank to the post office everyone went above and beyond to help me, ensuring that I had the proper documentation and giving me extremely beneficial advice.
Him's so Handsome! 
Holy Yum!
Leaving the states was a nightmare, but none of that matters now; everything has been laughably easy since landing in Sydney where the Air New Zealand representatives checked my itinerary in advance to ensure my check-in went smoothly the next day. The guys who drove the shuttle from the airport to my hostel even insisted on carrying my bag right up to the front door. Yes, I think I’m going to like it here.

Today's Adventures: Apply to as many jobs as possible and start to drive around.

2 comments:

  1. Do you want to be a member of Illuminati as a brotherhood that can make you rich for ever it can also make your name famous and power control people in high places in the worldwide contact us now join Illuminati now and get 17 Ways to become Rich And Famous Without Having Any talent is Illuminati make you rich , Are you a man or woman business man or business woman or an artist,Politicians and you want to become big, Powerful and famous in the world, join us to become one of our official member today in the great Illuminati.you shall be given an ideal chance to visit the Illuminati and his representative after registrations is completed by you, no human sacrifice,Illuminati brotherhood brings along wealth and famous in life, you have a full access to eradicate poverty away from your life now. it only a member who is been initiated into the church of Illuminati have the authority to bring any member to the church, so before you contact any body you must be link by who is already a member, Join us today and realize your dreams. we also help out our member in protection of drugs pushing email:morganilluminatirich@gmail.com YMCB or called via+2347061824880

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/24/2015

    Do you want to become a member of a great temple and be a star in the world, or you want to become very rich in life and nobody can stop you from it, or you want to become famous in life for people to know you much and give you that respect, if interested then become the Illuminati member and never be poor again cause we will give you all your wish you need from our temple as a member of the great Illuminati kingdom, contact us now via email at:illuminatisecretmembership@gmail.com or call+2348134261542

    ReplyDelete