My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Thought of the Day 23/02/2015: The Most Amazing Day of My New Life

The easiest way for me to relate this unbelievable day is to do a play-by-play, so here goes.
'The Square', Palmerston North, NZ
0700
I went out for a run to center myself on this important day. Interviews don’t make me nervous, but I’ll openly admit that I was feeling a bit stressed since I couldn’t plan anything past this milestone because all my other decisions would be based off of getting the job. Since pharmaceutical companies never give an offer on the same day as the interview, I spent my run taking in the town and also planning a tour through the North Island while I wait to hear back from this potential company and/or other interview possibilities in Auckland. Meanwhile, my anxiety was mounting as I planned to spend money without knowing when I’ll be able to replenish my funds.

It was a wonderful run. Palmerston North (PN) is truly a charming mid-size city that is kept immaculately clean and has all the social venues and conveniences of a college town. Indeed, it is the 7th largest city in New Zealand (NZ) and encompasses Massey University, the largest in NZ, as well as Linton Military Camp, also one of the largest of its kind. Perfectly situated in the center of the North Island and an hours drive from beaches, skiing, mountain lakes and waterfalls, PN boasts a beautiful town Square and lengthy river path, tons of quaint shops, free WiFi zones for Spark customers (like me) and comes complete with plenty of Indian and Thai eateries. Hell, even their pubic toilets are charismatic as they play ambient music to ease the evacuation process. I’ve also noticed that the petrol here is considerably cheaper than the rest of NZ. In short, it would be the perfect place to start my new middle-class life.

Towards the end of my run I found a Countdown to buy some yogurt and bananas for my breakfast. I planned to walk back to the hostel from there, but it started raining heavily so I jogged and prolonged my morning exercise. The temperature was warm, however, and made for a delightful skip through the rain.
'The Square', Palmerston North, NZ
1000
After showering, eating, and packing up Hank I headed downtown to enjoy some free WiFi compliments of Spark Mobile, definitely one of the coolest things about my phone plan! Especially considering that they’ve put these free WiFi booths all over the country, including in desolate mountain towns where there are otherwise no signals. Anyway, I Facetimed my Sister and Mother, reiterating my mounting stress regarding the fact that I couldn’t plan where to sleep that night. Assuming I’d have to wait to know the outcome of today’s interview, I tentatively planned to head to Turangi for some good-old fashioned mountain hiking and time-killing. Talking to them really helped me, they always make me laugh and encourage me to get a grip. It seems that everyone has more faith in Summer that I do, haha.
'The Square', Palmerston North, NZ
1100
In-line with all pharmaceutical companies, it is situated in the middle of nowhere. Therefore, I headed to site early to ensure there wouldn’t be any issues. I’d packed a lunch, so I planned to sit in the parking lot, eat and then read until the 1200 interview. Upon seeing that the compound was guarded by a gate, however, I decided to park to an inlet to a field assuming that no one would need access to it. Well, I was wrong. It wasn’t long before a good-looking farm boy came by on a tractor. He came up the car as I was preparing to move, and I apologized explaining that I was waiting to go to an interview. He asked if I was American, so I begrudgingly said yes and explained that I was hoping to immigrate. His reply was ‘Sweet as’ a very typical and diverse phrase in NZ approximately meaning 'cool'. The able farmer then wished me luck and I moved so he could get the tractor into the field. I re-parked just a bit further up the drive to be out of his way, but to my surprise he came back in only a few minutes and asked how much time I had before my interview. I replied that it was at noon, just 15 minutes from then, and he said ok, he had intended to invite me back to his house for some coffee if it had been longer so I wouldn't have to wait in my car. Wow, whether he was just being nice or he thought I was pretty enough to ask to coffee, that little interaction definitely put a smile on my face; fresh positive energy for the interview!
'The Square', Palmerston North, NZ
1400
I came out after a 2-hour interview and tour utterly elated…. I GOT THE JOB!!! Astoundingly, they said they were ‘keen’ on me and drew up a contract right then and there. One of the restrictions of my visa is that I can’t be hired for ‘permanent work’, so they wrote a contract through December, understanding that well before then I’ll secure a long-term work visa and transition to a permanent employee. I won’t disclose numbers, but rest assured I’ll be quite comfortable in my new job as a Quality Control Lab Technician.

As if getting the job wasn’t awesome enough, I next secured a fantastic little studio apartment, complete with a sunny balcony, by some fateful miracle! During the interview I asked the HR rep about finding permanent housing. She gave me the information of a nearby complex, The Mews Apartments, that they had contacted for another hiree who is set to start the same day as me, 02-03-15. They only had one apartment available, however, and the HR Rep wasn't sure if it had already been taken. While driving back I decided to stop in on a whim. The apartment was to be let later that day, but the property manager showed me to space anyway to give me an illustration of what they offered once another apartment became available. I loved it immediately; this particular space was really warm because it got full blast of the afternoon sun, a godsend for me. I’m not sure how it came up, but I spoke of my passion for cleanliness and cleaning so the manager took a liking for me. The next thing I know she said ‘screw it’ she wanted me to live there! She even explained that she thought it was fate, people had been trying to let that apartment all weekend but she had held it for the other employee of this company instead. Now that the other hiree hadn’t responded, she replaced my name with hers and left the denotation. Amazing! I’m moving in on Sunday and I'll be sure to post pictures!

Best of all, when I returned to the same hostel I had stayed at the night before, they gave me free WiFi as a congratulations gift! These people are incredible!! Now, I have to stay in Palmerston North for a couple of days so that I can get a health screening before starting work on Monday. After that, I plan to travel North and explore Lake Taupo and Hobbiton! 
'The Square', Palmerston North, NZ
1700
So I have a job and an apartment, what I need now is …. you guessed it, a gym membership! I spent the next hour walking to two gyms and securing passes so that I can test-drive their equipment, as well as survey the fellow gym-goers, prior to making a decision. Honestly, everyone says that the cost of living in NZ is outrageous, but I find it very reasonable. My monthly expenses include a phone plan, gym membership, rent, internet, groceries and petrol, and though I’ve underestimated my monthly income as well as overestimating the grocery costs, I’m still well on my way to being a middle class Kiwi with money to save! Granted, the groceries are expensive, but I never deny myself quality food; it’s well worth forgoing things like cable, movies and alcohol that I don’t really need anyway. Yet it does confuse me that everything is paid for bi-weekly except for the phone bill; I’ve certainly never paid rent or gym memberships bi-monthly. Even more odd is that they all charge you weekly but only debit the your bank account bi-weekly. It's just strange seeing everything as a weekly price, it makes everything seem so transient. This is especially noteworthy considering that I will be paid monthly, and in the middle of the month at that. I’m very glad I know how to budget like a pro!
'The Square', Palmerston North, NZ
1900
Now I’m back at the hostel having some rice pudding, which was really good considering it was canned, and an apple and thinking “Holy shit, did that really just happen?!” I filled Momma in on my day and she made my life even better by promising to come visit for Christmas; I’m holding you to that old woman! All the while I’m typing away and updating my information on the internet, the other people in my hostel are watching MIB, hahaha. Blessed, that’s the only way to describe it; I’m blessed.


Tomorrow: Go to the library to post blogs, test drive a Spinner and Row Machine at Jett Fitness while surveying for hotties, pick up my IRD card so I don’t get taxed 40% and go to the Visa office to inquire about the next steps for securing a long-term work visa. YAY!

1 comment:

  1. jessi s2/23/2015

    Sounds sweet!! I would say good luck but it sounds like you already have it!

    ReplyDelete