My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Definitions: Yoga

[Premise: My unconventional definitions for common words, with an aim for looking at typical concepts in a new, inspiring, light.  Some of these definitions will be well known euphemisms or simply random thoughts that come to my mind, usually while exercising.  Consequently, my three-fold definition for the term 'Runner's High' will serve as the entire basis for my next article: 'Runner's High: The Universal Benefits of Exercise'] 

YogaThe Body's presentation of its own intentions and capabilities.  It's way of saying 'I forgive you,' for any past torment or abuse caused to it by the Mind, and/or the Mind's imposed limitations. 

My Experience:  Having studied the Eastern Religions of Buddhism and Hinduism in college, I thought the Western concept of physical Yoga missed the mark of true Yogic practice, which is to achieve enlightenment and transcend human consciousness.  For years I vehemently opposed the idea of going to Yoga classes, believing it was more of a vain attempt by Western Soccer Moms to add depth to their superficial lives.  Can we say 'judgemental'?

I finally broke down and tried Yoga to see what everyone was raving about.  Since 2009 I've had a set exercise regime of cardio workouts and pilates strength training, so I was confident that I could physically handle anything Yoga had to throw at me.  It proved true except for a few posses I found physically impossible, ones I doubted I'd ever be able to pull-off because my body simply didn't bend that way; I'm not meant to balance my knees on my elbows with my ass in the air, or to hold my legs straight in the air while lying down and my lower back propped up by my elbows.  Nonetheless, I always felt serene and content after Yoga classes and often carried that positivity with me for a couple of days, at least until something or someone pissed me off, at which point I knew it was Yoga-time.  I practiced this way for months, getting progressively more balanced and adept at my practice, yet still unable to pull-off those impossible posses. About two weeks ago, however, I decided that instead of thinking I couldn't do these positions, I was going to mindfully ignore those thoughts and attempt them anyway, even if it meant falling out of position and landing on the person next to me.  In two shorts weeks I've accomplished 3 posses I once thought impossible; I have a new found appreciation and respect for my Body, it is obviously capable of much more than my Mind ever gave it credit for, and I can balance on points of my body so bizarre I feel like a Cirque de Soleil performer.

Nothing is comparable to the feeling of soulful strength achieved during sincere Yogic practice. By sincere I mean following the Body's inclinations without judgment from the Mind, the typical thoughts of limitation which cause the Body to think it cannot attempt certain difficult positions. Yoga teaches us that the limitations on our Body are a consequence of the Mind,  instead of muscle tone or strength.  It allows the Body to communicate to the Mind, instead of the other way around, and brings the Mind/Body into harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment