My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Review: Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill

[Forward: This is the first of my new Review series, in which I'll provide my humble opinion regarding restaurants, books, movies, music, etc. each week.  My overall impression is given as a 'Take-Home-Message' at the end of the review.  By the way, this is less about me thinking my opinion is terribly important as it is an attempt to engage in something new every week; but let's face it, my opinion is worth its weight in gold.] 

Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill is Middle Eastern food for dummies.  They take the fear and mysticism of middle eastern cuisine down to a comfortable level, and even those who desperately cling to their Big Macs would feel comfortable venturing out and trying the shwarma or falafel at this restaurant.  Seasoned foodies also enjoy Garbanzos for a quick and refreshing kick in the taste buds.  Though their menu offers the very basics of the cultural cuisine, the ingredients are abundant and healthy, and the quality is superb.  With a staggering variety of toppings for pitas and laffas, which are baked in-house, they also offer plates, combinations platters, soups, salads and side items.  Best of all, they currently rank amongst the most healthy eateries in Denver, a category which should be taken very seriously in a country rife with obesity.  Additionally, it costs no more than any other menu item at other less healthy fast food restaurants, so there are no more excuses; get out there and try something new and healthy!

I also love restaurants that use funny slogans and was thus delighted by a sign in the bathroom that read 'I'd wash my hands if I had them, but I'm a bean,' complete with their Garbanzo emblem.

I can't speak to the Garbanzos around the entirety of the country, but the location on S. Colorado, around University Hills in Denver, is clean and happily situated.  The staff were phenomenally helpful, friendly and patient as I hymned and hawed over the many choices before me; pickled eggplant? Yes, please!  A friend and I sat on their enclosed patio enjoying unseasonably warm weather for almost 4 hours and no one kicked us out, a definite plus.

Though Garbanzos is certainly not the best Middle Eastern restaurant in Denver, they don't profess to be; instead they diligently serve their function as a quick, healthy and delicious lunch option for the nutritionally aware.  Just be sure to come in expecting exactly what it is, healthy fast food with an un-intimidating cultural kick.

Summer's Take-Home-Message: Definitely worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment