My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thought of the Day 2/2/2012: Happy Groundhog Day?


Going about my normal routine this morning, I hopped on the treadmill around 5:30am and tuned into my favorite local news station.  Instantly, I was reminded that it was Groundhog Day and that the furry-darling had already seen it's shadow, condemning us to 6 more weeks of winter. 

Now, there are a couple reasons why I don't put much stock in the meteorological premonitions of a hole-dweller.  First, when I heard the news it was completely dark outside.  I don't know where this omniscient Groundhog is located, but he can't be in Boulder, CO because its physically impossible to see a shadow when everything is black.  What gives him the authority to dictate the weather of entire continent from one location?  Second, in consideration of global warming trends, has October through January been terribly wintery in past years?  All weather patterns seem to be completely unpredictable at this point regardless of the month, or even the season.  I realize that Colorado tends to epitomize this point, but I have family in New York and things seem to be getting more unpredictable and un-wintery there as well. 

I will admit there's something of his timing, however, as Denver is forecasted to get 10 inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow.  You win Groundhog...... For now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment