My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Thought of the Day 2/10/2012: Dreams and Intuition

I woke up remembering a vivid, very odd, dream this morning.  Given who accompanied me in the dream and the unique situation it portrayed, I decided that though there may be a 'big-picture' lesson in the dream I shouldn't pay too much attention to the particulars, thinking them a bit far fetched to be actualized or relevant.

A dream such as this is not atypical for me; I frequently have extremely memorable, random and lucid dreams.  Many times throughout my childhood, and even now in adulthood, I'm unable to easily discern when I'm dreaming, especially while napping.  The cue is usually my ability to instantly, magically, control any situation, which never happens in the wakeful state and doesn't that just suck.   Anyway, I've had a new audio lecture on 'The Power of Intuition' by Deepak Chopra for awhile, and decided to listen to it on this morning's commute.  The focus of the lecture was the importance of our dreams, their significant contribution to our intuition, allowing our dreams to guide us and minding the details; the plot thickens.

So, does this mean that I will take up with a best friend of 23 years, who has been estranged for the past 4 years, in a frat house, snacking on pizzas and some sort of delicious pumpkin-cream cheese pastries, and take in a dog from a woman who somehow was also connected with my ex-fiance?  There was also something about being bugged by a group of little boys for money.  I made the woman eat a pastry and told her it was calorie-free to ease her guilt; now that sounds about right.  The rest, however, is confusing but interesting to analyze. 

The old friend represents feeling an old, profound, comfort in a new relationship, and definitely has nothing to do with that particular friend.  I shared a unique connection with that person, however, and have longed for its replication in another for many years.  The frat house was filthy, loud and disgusting, not at all where I'd be comfortable, but being with my friend made me happily ignorant of my hatred for the environment and we lived there without consequence.  The frat aspect could also relate to a new and exciting relationship I've been forming, but its future is far from clear at this time and I'm actively practicing non-action to understand the significance it will play in my life.  For me eating the pizza and pastries represents a liberation from my eating disorder, and a welcomed sign indeed.  The connection to my previous relationship: God's way of kicking me in the stomach? No, surely it has some meaning as well.  I mentioned the connection to the women in passing and don't remember feeling any sort of pain or emotional attachment, simply thinking her giving us the dog was more of a strange coincidence.  These random connections to our pasts have a way of sneaking into our current lives, perhaps the lesson is to not allow them to affect our new relationships. 

And the group of young male solicitors?  This likely signifies my resentment of the republican primary race, viewing them as young-minded and definitely solicitous.  I pulled that out of no-where, it's not what I actually think the dream meant, but I had no better response and I really do dislike the depth of media coverage regarding the primary. 

In short, according to this dream, my intuition is telling me that I'm on the right track with my eating disorder, that a new relationship can bring the comfort comparable to an old one with the strength that enables me to tolerate the ordinarily intolerable, and finally that connections with past relationships need not affect new ones; I dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment