My views and advice on such topics as Diet and Exercise; Anxiety, Panic and Addiction; Spirituality and Random things that I find interesting.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thought of the Day 2/28/2012: Creating Mind Flexibility

Yesterday morning my boss saw me in the kitchen and asked me if I was alright and I thought 'Shit, did I forget to put my pants on before leaving the gym?'  Nope, there they were, so what had I done to make her worry?  I had simply failed to be in my cubicle by 7am as I had habitually done since the beginning of my contract last April.  I explained to her that I'm setting my daily schedule back an hour to break my 4am habit, opting to practice a new 5am regimen.  This inspired an odd look, one I'm very familiar with, then she went back to her office.

Her observation amused me as it only served to prove my hypothesis that, as humans, we notice each others habits and become alarmed upon even modest alterations.  This is precisely why over that past month I have systematically set myself the task of creating new habits and breaking old ones, wholly to prove to myself that it can be done with only mild exacerbation of my worry-some nature and fear of change.  Furthermore, I intend to continue this behavior throughout my life as I strongly believe these small yet consistent changes will lessen the blow of more devastating changes, which never fail to provoke my Mind's anxiety.  Just as I practice Yoga to increase the Body's flexibility, I will persistently alter my daily routines to augment my Mind's acceptance of life's inevitable changes.
Not all habits are bad, and most are not as obvious as a finger shoved up the nose; but all habits can and should be broken to improve the mind's flexibility.  It also promotes the docile adoption of life's changes with minimal anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment